More Additions to the True tone Demonstrations

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
larryh
Victor IV

More Additions to the True tone Demonstrations

Post by larryh »

Here are what I have so far put up. I have a variety of types of music and will produce many others as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClOSmi ... lECD2a-ckg

I sort of wonder if closer placement of the mike would produce a more solid sound. For my self I perfer to hear it from a distance and while the mike at the horn would no doubt produce some really strong sound it sort of defeats the actual effect of the record in person when sitting away from the machine some. And as commented on already even then a small camera mike is not going to do justice to the in person sound, although it does a lot better than I would have guessed.

Larry

Phototone
Victor III

Re: More Additions to the True tone Demonstrations

Post by Phototone »

Your rabbit is very patient.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

larryh wrote: I sort of wonder if closer placement of the mike would produce a more solid sound. For my self I perfer to hear it from a distance and while the mike at the horn would no doubt produce some really strong sound it sort of defeats the actual effect of the record in person when sitting away from the machine some.
I have wondered the same thing, but have never tried an experiment to record the same record at various distances. For a more practical reason that I will explain, I place a microphone close to the horn or even somewhat within. The purpose is to drown out external noises such as neighborhood traffic, overhead airplanes, ghetto blasters, neighbor's lawnmover, barking dogs, refrigerator noise, spouse, etc. I obviously need a sound-deadened room at some very remote location.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

This is just dandy, I can open these videos but it shows the LarryH I added because they wanted a second name, now I can't load anything an seemingly there is no where to actually get any help.. I tired emailing them but it says they don't answer emails for most reasons, I doubt I will ever hear from a human. Someone said I could start a new account an then reload all them to that. Not a fun idea. Still I couldn't answer questions unless I filled in that extra name line and I don't know why that screwed everything up in the first place.

Larry

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

Hi Larry,

Your demonstrations are outstanding, in my opinion! :)

My favorite above all the rest is #51566 "Pango, Pango Maid", by Billy Wynne's Greenwich Village Orchestra.

I really think that one shows off how well a
properly adjusted, properly working Edison DD machine
should sound. Well done!

Chuck
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Chuck,

Thanks for the comment. Being somewhat of a perfectionist I have been having second thoughts about the quality of the videos.. My room is too small causing some records to echo way too much but at the moment its the best I can do. Hopefully people can listen past the issues to hear some of the good points of the diaphragm.. I needed that.

Larry

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Great job on those videos.

Nice machine..... I really like the Indian calls on the Oklahoma Indian recording. Its always a treat to hear some of these Edison DD's that have the sound effects etc.