Stars and Cars

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Stars and Cars

Post by epigramophone »

This time not one but two Armstrong Siddeleys in about 1937.

The singer and film star George Formby is at the wheel of the 17HP and his wife, who was also his manager, is at the wheel of the 14HP. Formby was a lifelong car enthusiast with the money to indulge his passion.

Standing on the running board of the 14HP is the singer Randolph Sutton who was also a prolific recording artist.
Attachments
gf 001.jpg

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

These cars call to mind the wonderful vehicles in the "Foyle's War" TV series. Wife and I are avid watchers but neither of us knows a thing about British cars (oh, well, I suppose we can recognize a Rolls, and I had a friend in high school who owned a red MG-TD---what a neat car!). I wanted one of those neat London cabs, until I found out how expensive they were: something like $48K, US if I recall! That dampened my ardor considerably.

Thanks to everyone for posting these nifty photos.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Henry wrote:These cars call to mind the wonderful vehicles in the "Foyle's War" TV series. Wife and I are avid watchers but neither of us knows a thing about British cars (oh, well, I suppose we can recognize a Rolls, and I had a friend in high school who owned a red MG-TD---what a neat car!). I wanted one of those neat London cabs, until I found out how expensive they were: something like $48K, US if I recall! That dampened my ardor considerably.

Thanks to everyone for posting these nifty photos.
A 1930's Wolseley, the UK's favourite Police car, could probably be bought for a fraction of the cost of a contemorary London Taxicab. Just add a sign on the roof and a bell on the front bumper ;) .

Roger.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

I imagine that the cost of shipping it over would be prohibitive. Plus, trying to register it here might be problematic because of our stringent safety requirements and emissions inspections. And the driver's view out of the right side would put me at a disadvantage with all the reckless maniacs on our highways today. Oh well, in my dreams.... :(

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

George Formby was also a great motor cycle enthusiast.

These two photos have been extracted from "It's turned out nice again !" the extremely interesting and well written definitive biography on Formby by Sue Smart and Richard Bothway Howard. Melrose Books ISBN 978 1 907732 59 1.
Attachments
George in his element on Bill Kitchen's Rudge J.A.P. Grasstrack bike.(Courtesy Eastern Daily Press)
George in his element on Bill Kitchen's Rudge J.A.P. Grasstrack bike.(Courtesy Eastern Daily Press)
Ballarat Motor Cycle Grand Prix, Australia 1948.
Ballarat Motor Cycle Grand Prix, Australia 1948.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Billy Cotton (1899-1969) formed his first dance band in 1924 and was still at the top of his profession in the 1960's, when his television show regularly attracted an audience of 20 million.

He was a successful amateur racing driver at Brooklands in the 1930's, and finished his racing career with a creditable 4th place at the 1949 Silverstone International Grand Prix.
Attachments
_79770895_billydrivinghulton[1].jpg
_79770895_billydrivinghulton[1].jpg (44.04 KiB) Viewed 1414 times

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

epigramophone wrote:Billy Cotton (1899-1969) formed his first dance band in 1924 and was still at the top of his profession in the 1960's, when his television show regularly attracted an audience of 20 million.

He was a successful amateur racing driver at Brooklands in the 1930's, and finished his racing career with a creditable 4th place at the 1949 Silverstone International Grand Prix.

Note the hand-pump below his right-leg: for pressurizing the fuel-tank. ;)
De Soto Frank

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

De Soto Frank wrote:Note the hand-pump below his right-leg: for pressurizing the fuel-tank. ;)
Just like the old Coleman lantern and camp stove!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

The British bandleader Jack Payne (on left) taking delivery of a Singer Airstream in 1934. He bought FOURTEEN of them, all finished in the same colour, for the members of his band.

Looking rather like a miniature Chrysler Airflow, the Airstream did not appeal to British tastes and was discontinued in late 1935. Jack Payne's was probably the largest single order that Singer received for this unsuccessful model.

In over 40 years with classic cars I have never seen one.
Attachments
singer 001.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Henry wrote:
Curt A wrote:Josephine Baker with her very fast & very expensive Delage d6-7 in 1935...
One of the rare photos of Ms. Baker fully clothed....without bananas. ;)
Attachments
J Baker_la_revue_des_revues01.jpg
J Baker_la_revue_des_revues01.jpg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
JB_Banana_Large0.jpg
JB_Banana_Large0.jpg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife