Sermons with singing--Rev J M Gates--Okeh 8413 (1926).

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Sermons with singing--Rev J M Gates--Okeh 8413 (1926).

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Here's the only record I have in the famed Okeh 8000 ('race') series. It was started in 1923 and had chalked up 966 releases before ARC discontinued it in 1935. It is legendary for more than the many Louis Armstrong Hot Five and Hot Seven records in its listings. There are many blues and gospel records in the series.

J M Gates (1884-1945) was, from 1914 until his death, pastor of Mount Calvary Baptist Church in Rock Dale Park, Atlanta, Georgia. He had a very prolific recording career, recording over 200 sides between 1926 and 1941. His first strong seller, 'Death's black train is coming' (Columbia 14145-D) was recorded in April 1926. Seven months later, on 3 November he, and whomever from his congregation, recorded (acoustically) the two sides Okeh released here:

'Death might be your Santa Claus' (matrix 9866-A)

'Paul and Silas in jail' (matrix 9863-B)

Gates also recorded for Victor, Bluebird, Paramount and Gennett.

PS--My copy of 8413 is on a laminated pressing....
Last edited by Viva-Tonal on Sat May 09, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beaumonde
Victor III

Re: Sermons with singing--Rev J M Gates--Okeh 8413 (1926).

Post by beaumonde »

Wow, those were great sides, Viva-tonal. I've always wanted to hear some of his records.
Adam

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Thanks! Glad you liked these. I also have the Columbia I mentioned; I just have to tidy the sound up some (lamination cracks and other fun) and I'll post both sides of it too.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I love those old Holiness preacher records . . . they are so hard to find! I always look forward to seeing record dealer Ron Brown from Athens, Tennessee at shows because he has a soft spot for them, too, and is about the only person who even remotely 'consistently' (if you can call handling such rare stuff 'consistently') makes it available.

Here's a scan of a Holiness record I have:
'Pig Or Pup (The Two Faced Man)' b/w 'Hell And What It Is' by Rev. Emmitt Dickenson (& Congregation) on a Champion electric. I don't know anything about Rev. Dickinson, but he can sure whip up a crowd!

Thanks for posting yours!

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I agree, I always like to hear this kind of stuff.

Don't forget that J.M. Gates and congregation can be heard on Harry Smith's famous 'Anthology Of American Folk Music.'

The middle 'red' volume in that set is worth the price of the entire box if this type music interests you.

The 'Anthology' is available in it's 1997 CD incarnation, and there's also a newer version using allegedly cleaner sources/mastering. Haven't heard that one. Original LP pressings seem pretty hard to find, to say nothing of the 78's it was drawn from.