HMV releases for South African Market - late 30's

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Thomas
Victor Jr

HMV releases for South African Market - late 30's

Post by Thomas »

Does anyone have information about an HMV series intended for the SOUTH AFRICA market,
late 1930's or slightly later?
In particular, any information about recordings by JOSEF PESSACH (possisbly alternative spellings)?
Thank you! Thomas.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: HMV releases for South African Market - late 30's

Post by MordEth »

Thomas,

I made some attempt to research this and was wondering if Josef (Pessach) Marais is the singer for whom you’re looking. I found this via Google:
Subject: Happy! - Nov 17 (Josef Marais)
Date: 17 Nov 05 - 08:42 AM

Happy Birthday!

Josef (Pessach) Marais

was born

17 Nov 1905
In Lowry Pass, Union of South Africa

(Emigrated to US in 1939 and died in L.A. Apr 27 1978)

The loverly folksingers, Marias and Miranda, met at the radio station, Radio Free Europe. He, a South African and she a Netherlands refugee both spoke Dutch, of course. She assisted him in his Dutch broadcast to Nazi-occupied Netherlands. Europe for some time before accidentally learning she could sing. Trained for opera, in fact. A beautiful partnership soon formed.

One day when your computer is down so you've nothing to do, rent one of those many “Casablanca” rip-offs and see “Rope of Sand”, 1949. The main characters are doing their intriguing in the foreground and all of a sudden in the background there’s Marias and Miranda (ie, Mrs Marais) doing their nightclub act. They were allowed to do nearly the whole song. They performed two of Josef’s compositions, “The Zulu Warrior” and “As the Sun Goes Down.”
I also found 17 MP3s and additional information on maraisandmiranda.com, including some fliers and other print material.

There’s also a discography (on another Marais and Miranda site), but no mention of HMV...

Hope this helps (and perhaps there’s more information about the HMV pressings you’re hunting out there).

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Thomas
Victor Jr

Post by Thomas »

Hello MordEth,
I am aware of many of the sites related to Marais and Miranda, and the recordings made in the USA throughout their career.
Hoping to find some information about the recordings made before that, when Marais was in the UK.
If anyone is familiar with HMV output, can you confirm that there was a series for the South African market? Any details of prefix, numeric series, dates active, etc.?
That would at least be a starting point.
Are there a forum for 78rpm collectors, based in England? I am familiar with the 78list in the US.
Thanks! Thomas.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

There was a 78 UK forum, but it closed a few weeks ago.
You could try Steve's board as there's quite a few collectors there who are big HMV collectors, but your best bet would be to contact Alan Kelly in the UK. He has been working on HMV/G&T discographies for years, so if anyone know it will be him. Unfortunately I can't seem to find his email addy, but if I can I'll let you know if someone else doesn't post it first.