'On the sunny side of the street'--Chick Webb ork (1933).

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-Tonal
Victor II

'On the sunny side of the street'--Chick Webb ork (1933).

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Here's the flip of my 1936 Vocalion reissue of 'Stomping at the Savoy' (Vocalion 3246, taken from Columbia 2926-D). 'Sunny side' was originally released on Columbia 2875-D early in 1934; it was recorded on 20 December 1933.

I don't know who the singer or the trumpet soloist is; Webb and co were definitely trying to sound like Louis Armstrong and the big band he had at the time.

Those here who have downloaded my transfer of 'Savoy' will notice that this side sounds noisier than it does despite this side having less wear. This is due to this side having been originally recorded at a lower level than 'Savoy' so in transferring this, I raised the level some, which brought up the noise. Hope you all like this one anyway....

Enjoy! (Matrix W.152658-1.)

Henry
Victor V

Re: 'On the sunny side of the street'--Chick Webb ork (1933).

Post by Henry »

Viva-Tonal wrote:
I don't know who the singer or the trumpet soloist is; Webb and co were definitely trying to sound like Louis Armstrong and the big band he had at the time.

Enjoy! (Matrix W.152658-1.)
...yep, even to the extent of "borrowing" that ending note-for-note from Armstrong (now what was that piece...mmm now let me see...too lazy to look it up). Trumpet/vocal is possibly Taft Jordan (b. 1919, d. ?), who joined Webb's band in Sept. 1933 and remained through 1942, after Webb's death and Ella Fitzgerald had taken over the band. He is credited as a trumpeter and vocalist in Leonard Feather's Encyclopedia of Jazz.
Last edited by Henry on Mon May 11, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Thanks for the info!

richardh

Post by richardh »

Thats a great version of one of my favourite songs..thanks for posting. I'll be adding that to my stock of other versions of the song.

RJ 8-)