"Red Wing"

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

"Red Wing"

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Edison Quartette and Edison Concert Band performing "Red Wing"

Fairly common BA, but this copy is in such nice condition!

Just a quick and dirty cell phone transfer. Clean cylinder.

I believe that this reproducer could use a rebuild. I haven't touched it in twenty years, and fear that the rubber may have perished.

http://youtu.be/3BveQszhQmE

Henry
Victor V

Re: "Red Wing"

Post by Henry »

I like this version better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdN67NO7vhc ;)

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Ah yes, Henry, "Redwing" as it should be played. This was from Spike's first recording session in 1941 and seems to be a terribly elusive record, as many things are when you're actively hunting them. I was given a well-loved copy of this by its original owner when I was around 10, in the mid '50s. I loved it and played it so much on my Victrolas that it wasn't even good enough to use as a coaster. Fast forward to adulthood and it took over 30 years and the advent of Ebay before I found another. It arrived, thanks to a dealer who had no idea how to pack, intact but ready to fall apart at the slightest breath. After applying lots of electrical tape to the B side, I have managed to hold it together so I can play it. Poor packing = a quick way to turn an E record into garbage.
That title seems to have never been reissued on 78 although many, including "Redwing's" flip side "Behind Those Swinging Doors" was. So thank you for posting the youtube link. It was great to hear a clean copy of this for the first time ever.

Jim

winsleydale
Victor III
Personal Text: "Communism is the very definition of failure!"

Post by winsleydale »

I just digitized my Redwing cylinder! What are the chances?
"Death is a preferable alternative to communism!" - Liberty Prime

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Jim, "Red Wing" was re-issued on a BMG Classics CD as Catalyst 09026-61982-2; I have this one in my collection, otherwise I wouldn't have known it. It might still be available if you need a "fresh" copy.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for it. I just looked at my Bluebird 78 and noticed that Redwing is actually the B side , while Behind Those Swinging doors is the A side. Maybe that's why Redwing was never reissued on 78 and Behind... was.

Jim