Jack Hylton's Kit-Cat Band

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Does anyone have Rust's British Dance Band Discography to more precisely pinpoint these 1925 recordings? To my ear they sound very early, likely March-April of that year...Or maybe HMV's electric recording technique wasn't as advanced as Victor's very early on? They are pretty impressive from a performance standpoint.

Milenburg Joys (HMV B2101; Bb6479-2; ca. 1925)

My Sugar (HMV B2101; Bb6481-2; ca. 1925)
Adam

beaumonde
Victor III

Re: Jack Hylton's Kit-Cat Band

Post by beaumonde »

Well, according to the Red Hot Jazz site, these are from 8/10/25, recorded at the HMV studio at Hayes, Middlesex: http://www.redhotjazz.com/Kitcat.html
Adam

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Adam, thanks for posting these two selections. I especially like "My Sugar," in large part due to the steady banjo accompaniment.

:squirrel:
Rocky

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Ohhhh I think you're being a little hard on HMV's technique...they sound pretty good to me for mid- 1925 electricals. ;)

Jim

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

A an absolutely fabulous arrangement. I technically I think they do sound better than most other 1925 non-Columbia Viva-Tonals. ;)

richardh

Post by richardh »

I'm a bit late jumping in on these....I had trouble with Box yesterday as it would only play about 5 seconds of any tune before cutting out - but it seems fine today.

I love these mid to late 20's syncopated rhythm recordings and Jack Hylton is one of my favourite bands so Adam thanks for posting these. As for the sound quality..they sound just great to me :D

RJ 8-)