You Don't Like It ~ Not Much

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
bart1927
Victor II

You Don't Like It ~ Not Much

Post by bart1927 »

Not the famous recording by Jan Garber and his Orchestra, but by a lesser known man, Al Lynch and His Orchestra, using the pseudonym of the Newport Dance Orchestra. According to Brian Rust he only made 18 recordings, all for budget labels such as Banner, Broadway, Oriole and Crown.

I paid a lot more for this record than I normally do, because it is a beautiful black-and-brown marbled Pathé record. It looks really classy and fancy, but it still has the tell-tale budget label sound.

I cleaned up the sound a bit, using my trusty KAB Souvenir VSP and Click Repair, but both weren't very effective on a couple of big clicks at about 15 seconds into the song. I tried to remove them manually (just select and cut it out of the wave form), but you could hear something was missing, so I ended up leaving the clicks in. Perhaps some of you have a couple of neat tricks to remove those really big clicks?

In the mean time, enjoy the record:

You Don't Like It ~ Not Much (Newport Dance Orchestra). Pathé Actuelle 36658, recorded July 6, 1927, in New York.

PLAY
Attachments
DSC00095.JPG

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Re: You Don't Like It ~ Not Much

Post by Viva-Tonal »

If you have the facility for taking your mouse and re-drawing the waveforms, re-draw such that at each of those big pops the new waveform looks like the logical continuation of the waveform just before and just after each pop.

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Viva-Tonal wrote:If you have the facility for taking your mouse and re-drawing the waveforms, re-draw such that at each of those big pops the new waveform looks like the logical continuation of the waveform just before and just after each pop.
The only program I have that allows me to edit a wave-form is DC-Art Millennium, but unfortunately it's not possible to re-draw waveforms. Do you know any user friendly programs I could use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Here's another of the 18 recordings- this one on the Banner label.
Only 16 more to go :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gNWsPaWy8M[/youtube]

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Thanks Bart. The Newport Dance Orchestra rendition compares very favorably with Jan Garber's recording.

:squirrel:
Rocky

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

bart1927 wrote:
Viva-Tonal wrote:If you have the facility for taking your mouse and re-drawing the waveforms, re-draw such that at each of those big pops the new waveform looks like the logical continuation of the waveform just before and just after each pop.
The only program I have that allows me to edit a wave-form is DC-Art Millennium, but unfortunately it's not possible to re-draw waveforms. Do you know any user friendly programs I could use?

It was about 5 years ago when I briefly got to play around with one I could re-draw waveforms on. It was called Sound Forge IIRC.

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Viva-Tonal wrote:
bart1927 wrote:

It was about 5 years ago when I briefly got to play around with one I could re-draw waveforms on. It was called Sound Forge IIRC.
Do you perhaps know which version of Sound Forge I need? I could find 2, one is called SF Audio Studio and costs about $ 40, the other one is called SF 9 and costs $ 350.

Is there perhaps some freeware around that could do the trick?

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

You can find Adobe Audition, in it's earlier guise as Cool Edit Pro, for free here:

http://www.oldversion.com/Cool-Edit-Pro.html

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Thanks for the advise, I'll give it a try.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Great tune - I really like this one. And I have to say Bart another great transfer :D Those marbled Pathés are really nice to look at - neve seen one in the flesh though (or should that be shellac!)

RJ 8-)