2-minute cylinders by Byron G. Harlan

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: 2-minute cylinders by Byron G. Harlan

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Norman, I wasn't offended at all. I don't like Will Oakland's records either and I avoid his cylinders, even when they're priced very low. However, I think that his voice was appropriate for this very sad song.

:D
:squirrel:
Rocky

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

EdisonSquirrel wrote:Norman, I wasn't offended at all. I don't like Will Oakland's records either and I avoid his cylinders, even when they're priced very low. However, I think that his voice was appropriate for this very sad song.

:D
Rocky
I am pleased to hear that, Rocky! :)
I actually bought that CD from Archeophone Records with a transcription of an LP issued in the 50's with Oakland telling his story. He certainly was a better narrator than a singer. :D

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Norman,

Obviously the musical tastes of the public 90 years ago were different than they are today. Most cylinder collectors are aware that Will Oakland's Blue Amberol of "Silver threads among the gold" probably turns up more often than any other BA. I suppose it was the older generation in the 1910s that enjoyed his music. I can't imagine that Oakland was popular with the generation that listened to 20s dance band music.

Rocky

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

WDC wrote:I am pleased to hear that, Rocky! :)
I actually bought that CD from Archeophone Records with a transcription of an LP issued in the 50's with Oakland telling his story. He certainly was a better narrator than a singer. :D
Norman,

I listened to some of the sound examples on the Archeophone Records web site.
It sound very interesting.
I think I'll have to buy it, I love hearing or reading when early phonograph artists tell their story!

Paal.