Sweet Georgia Brown - Again!

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
iPhoneFreak
Victor Jr

Sweet Georgia Brown - Again!

Post by iPhoneFreak »

These versions are very different and I am happy to post them at the risk they may displease somebody, especially the first.

The Gasser is by Roy Eldridge, trumpet with Harmon mute, with a forceful solo on tenor by Ike Quebec, recorded in Chicago on November 16, 1943, Brunswick 80117:

http://www.box.net/shared/t8inzukuze

Now if you have happily survived this spicy meat, here is Sweet Georgia Brown by Eddie South, violin, and Django Reinhardt, guitar, recorded in Paris on September 29, 1937, OLA-2146-1:

http://www.box.net/shared/z3jg40vs86

Nothing against the 20's, but don't forget the 30's and the 40's!

beaumonde
Victor III

Re: Sweet Georgia Brown - Again!

Post by beaumonde »

Very nice stuff. But are you sure that Roy Eldridge version is of "Sweet Georgia Brown"? I was hard pressed to pick out the melody... ;)
Adam

scooter
Victor O

Post by scooter »

Great violin version of Sweet Georgia Brown!! Good stuff, thanks for posting.
Scott

iPhoneFreak
Victor Jr

Post by iPhoneFreak »

beaumonde wrote:Very nice stuff. But are you sure that Roy Eldridge version is of "Sweet Georgia Brown"? I was hard pressed to pick out the melody... ;)
Dead sure. Not because of the melody, it's the harmony that is exactly the same, and in the exact same key - unlike the violin pliece which is in another key (half a tone below).

Plenty of versions of "Sweet Georgia Brown" without name and melody, since it's a favorite of jam sessions.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

iphonefreak,

Great recordings. Thank you. I have no idea why you thought they might "displease" anyone. You can't go wrong with Django, Eddie South or Roy Eldridge I my humble opinion. :D

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

iPhoneFreak
Victor Jr

Post by iPhoneFreak »

Neophone wrote:I have no idea why you thought they might "displease" anyone.

Regards, John
I was overdoig it. Provoking. Roy Eldridge sounds really modern, especially compared with the versions from the 20's, to the point that, as you could see, Beaumonde had to ask where the melody was! I have other versions of Sweet Georgia Brown in which the known melody is not stated, and most be-bop tunes of the 40's are standard with unrecognizable and edgy new melodies.