Columbia vs. Edison cylinder records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Columbia vs. Edison cylinder records

Post by Edisonfan »

Okay, I may get some grief for this, but I feel Columbia 2 minute cylinders have a better sound and tone quality compared to Edison.

Paul
Last edited by Edisonfan on Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Columbia vs. Edison cylinder records

Post by phonogfp »

I won't argue about recording quality, because that's subjective, but where did you find the rest of that information? Columbia offering to share its moulding process with Edison? When was that?

Columbia manufactured its own wax cylinders until May, 1909. It dropped its celluloid cylinder line in May 1912.

George P.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

My mistake! I must have misread something akin to that idea. It was Bell and Tainter who demonstrated the process for Edison.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Edisonfan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:31 am My mistake! I must have misread something akin to that idea. It was Bell and Tainter who demonstrated the process for Edison.
Bell and Tainter offered to share their initial recording and playback technology with Edison in the 1880s, but there was no moulding process at that time. (Nor was there yet a Columbia Phonograph Company.)

George P.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

phonogfp wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:39 am
Edisonfan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:31 am My mistake! I must have misread something akin to that idea. It was Bell and Tainter who demonstrated the process for Edison.
Bell and Tainter offered to share their initial recording and playback technology with Edison in the 1880s, but there was no moulding process at that time. (Nor was there yet a Columbia Phonograph Company.)

George P.
Thank you George! I have no idea where i got my info from?