Trovatore-Miserere / Miss Stevenson, Mr. Macdonough...

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Trovatore-Miserere / Miss Stevenson, Mr. Macdonough...

Post by Wolfe »

From Verdi's Il Trovatore. Sung in English.

Bought this for 50 cents yesterday. Casually threw it on when I got home, and was mightily impressed with Harry Macdonough's handling of this music, Elsie Stevenson is pretty good too, but this is one for the Macdonough fans. 8-)

Recorded in 1908.

PLAY

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: Trovatore-Miserere / Miss Stevenson, Mr. Macdonough...

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

This is indeed quite nice. While I have never been much of an opera buff, I am a long-time Harry Macdonough fan. The selection showcases his powerful voice very favorably.

:squirrel:

Rocky

richardh

Post by richardh »

I'm glad I spotted this as I have never heard a vocal version of this great song. That is fantastic and thanks for posting...that was a great bargain for only 50c! Nice transfer BTW.

Before today I had only heard a cornet solo version by Seargeant Leggett...which I have loved for years now. Listening to my transfer again...I really need to have another attempt! so apologies for the ropy sound!

Trovatore-Miserere - Seargent Leggett

RJ 8-)

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I think all the major companies made English versions of this piece as it was such a popular selection at the time. Too bad todays world isn't more educated on the wonders of great music. Sadly they aren't. I have this in latter victor versions as well as Edison Disc in English also.