Lets Organize The Labels: Banner

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Neophone
Victor III

Lets Organize The Labels: Banner

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

Let's tackle BANNER next

The first one I have listed is I believe once again-the second label design, it dates from early 1922 I think. The third image I have posted is the same label except for the fact that the type of song is not listed in small letters on the right under the Banner name. I don't know where to place that since it's catalogue number doesn't match with the guide I'm using. Then I believe we have the second image which I believe dates to 1923. This basic label design was used to the end of the run for Banner except for a color change to red in 1934. I think the one I have pictured dates to '35. For the remainder of the images we have slight variations which although they can be dated by their catalogue numbers I can't specifically identify when each change took place. Any ideas?

Regards,
J.

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Lets Organize The Labels: Banner

Post by gramophoneshane »

I can't help with dating Banner labels, but I do have a question about one I have.
The record in question appears to be a Banner label pasted over another label. Does anyone know what label might be under it?
The record number is 9499, and the online 78 discographical project doesn't list a 9000 series.
Any ideas??

http://www.78discography.com/

** Looking at the labels you've shown, my guess is they would go 3, 1, 2, 6, 7, 4, 5.
I'm not real sure about 3 & 1. I'm kind of wondering if the small print was ommitted because "waltz" is already in the title?
I think the label with the gold circle "E" is probably the first electric label, as the other late labels all have "Electrically recorded" in small print under the logo. It also looks to me like they may have dropped the Plaza name from the bottom of the 4th label, before adding Made in USA on the 5th & last red label??
Hopefully someone will know for sure.

BTW- There's also a blue label with Made in USA at the bottom.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Shane,

Interesting. Banner was a Plaza label. Plaza's Regal (U.S.) had a 9000 series. Plaza also had a long time connection with Compo in Canada.

It wouldn't happen to be: HOLLYWOOD DANCE ORCH, WHEN YOU WALKED OUT SOMEONE ELSE WALKED RIGHT IN b/w NEWPORT SOCIETY ORCH, I LOVE ME with the respective matrices: 5180, 5197=3?

Anyone else have any ideas?

Regards,
J.

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

That certainly is the titles & matrix no's. So it's a Regal then.
Was Oriole also a Plaza group label?

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Shane,

Not originally but they were pressed by Grey Gull for a while using leased masters from Plaza. Plaza directly pressed Oriole after 1924.

Regards,
John