Late red vinyl 78's, quality of surface compared to shellac?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
larryh
Victor IV

Late red vinyl 78's, quality of surface compared to shellac?

Post by larryh »

Hello everyone.

I recently began once again playing a few LP's and 45's on a good vintage turntable. I also have 78 needle for the cartridge and attempted to play some albums on it. But the sensitive arm and cartridge bring out all the worst in the shellac surfaces. Then I wondered about the late red vinyl records such as the RCA Classical releases which I don't own a copy of any longer.. Would they be similar to the 45 of the period in noise and quality. A good 45 from the period, which is hard to get, will play strikingly well, a poor quality is awful at best. Anyone have any of these for comparison?

Larry

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Late red vinyl 78's, quality of surface compared to shellac?

Post by estott »

I had a couple of Silvertone red vinyl 78 releases (Eileen Farrell, I believe) and the surface was great- just like an LP, a slight hiss.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Good to know, I hope to run across some albums to test. Used to have a number of them way back but long gone now..

Post by Guest »

those releases sound pretty decent. sometimes they bring out the higher end that was obscured by shellac surfaces. unfortunately many were dubs that didn't realize their full sound potential as opposed to pressing them from original metal parts.