The Jim Dandies

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
beaumonde
Victor III

The Jim Dandies

Post by beaumonde »

Here's an obscure mid-20s small group, The Jim Dandies, in their only released recording, done for Harmony in late 1925. The players are: Seymour Irick-t/Percy Glascoe-cl-ss-as/Lemuel Fowler-p/Richard Ward-d. I gather they are from South Carolina (although these sides were done in NYC), and possibly African-American, judging from the lyrics to the 1844 minstrel song, Dandy Jim from Caroline.

Charleston Geechie Dance (Harmony 55-H; 141189-1; NY, 10/24/25)

Shake That Thing (Harmony 55-H; 141188-1; NY, 10/24/25)
Adam

beaumonde
Victor III

Re: The Jim Dandies

Post by beaumonde »

These guys must be pretty obscure; they're not even listed (as a group or individually) in that encyclopedic site redhotjazz.com...

Thought I'd bump this thread up a bit. Not many seem to have noticed it in the past week.
Adam

WDC
Victor IV

Re: The Jim Dandies

Post by WDC »

This is one of my favorite records. I had mine posted on the old board and also used it in my radio broadcast on October 23, 2007.
I could not either find out anything beyond the staff and that they apparently had only this record issued. However, they are listed on the redhotjazz Website: http://www.redhotjazz.com/jimdandies.html
Nevertheless, this doesn't make them less obscure, as I think. Shake that Thing is a wonderful hot cornet rendition of this song. My record has the blue Velvet Tone label.