Diamond Discs - list of those on the first paper label

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victor VI

Diamond Discs - list of those on the first paper label

Post by 52089 »

When Edison started using paper labels on Diamond Discs in 1921, he initially used a label with white letters on a black background. These labels were only used for "flashes", which were supposed to be the big hits, and were only used from mid- to late-1921 before giving way to the more familiar checkerboard rim label. 50813 was the earliest disc issued with a paper label.

Through a combination of my own research and Charles Gregory's "Edison Diamond Disc Record Labels & Discography", I am now able to present a more-or-less definitive list of records issued with this scarce label. There may yet be 1 or 2 more of these - Gregory and I both had 1 or 2 that the other didn't - but it seems unlikely.

There is a variation of this label that includes the text "MADE IN U.S.A." above the spindle hole. So far only 2 numbers are known with this variation. Both were issued with and without this extra text.

A PDF of the list is attached for your future reference. If you are able to add to this list, or if you have questions, please let me know.
Attachments
Edison Diamond Disc - First Paper Label numbers.pdf
(206.55 KiB) Downloaded 242 times

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Re: Diamond Discs - list of those on the first paper label

Post by Pathe Logical »

Thanks for compiling this list and sharing it with us! Just a suggestion: For those who don't know their Edison DD labels, you may want to show an example of the scarce label(s) you are referring to. Some collectors have probably never seen one of these hard to come by labels! Also, in the PDF file, what do the single, double, and triple asterisks denote?

Thanks again,
Bob

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Pathé Logical wrote:Thanks for compiling this list and sharing it with us! Just a suggestion: For those who don't know their Edison DD labels, you may want to show an example of the scarce label(s) you are referring to. Some collectors have probably never seen one of these hard to come by labels! Also, in the PDF file, what do the single, double, and triple asterisks denote?

Thanks again,
Bob
Thanks for the feedback.

This is the best picture I have handy. It shows the label in a very uncommon type of Edison record sleeve:
First paper Edison.jpg
First paper Edison.jpg (10.92 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
As for the asterisks - scroll the list down to page 2 :D

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

OK --- so I should have scrolled down and read page 2 of your pdf. :oops:

Thanks,
Bob

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

I can confirm 50852 for you.
IMG_4514.JPG
IMG_4519.JPG

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

coyote wrote:I can confirm 50852 for you.
Thanks for that. While it's shown in Gregory's book, I always like to see things like this in detail when possible. The copy in my collection is on the later "regular" label.

FYI, Gregory also notes that this is the last Diamond Disc by Ada Jones. These sides were recorded in Sept. 1921. Jones died in May of 1922.

Gatyam
Victor I

Post by Gatyam »

Thanks for sharing this good research. I think the list is accurate, based on the DD records in my collection.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Some in my personal collection and I can verify 50814 below

50814 (2 copies)

updated add 50842, 50890, 80702
Attachments
2016-04-19 21.26.39.jpg
2016-04-19 21.26.28.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

msherman
Victor O

Post by msherman »

Here's a pic of the rare "Made in USA" label. Note also the much heavier outside white ring.

I believe the paper labels were first used to speed up production. The engraved label took extra time and effort, and Edison made a major effort to show how quickly "hits" could be brought to the market.
Attachments
Black 2.jpg
Last edited by msherman on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

52089 wrote:
Pathé Logical wrote:Thanks for compiling this list and sharing it with us! Just a suggestion: For those who don't know their Edison DD labels, you may want to show an example of the scarce label(s) you are referring to. Some collectors have probably never seen one of these hard to come by labels! Also, in the PDF file, what do the single, double, and triple asterisks denote?

Thanks again,
Bob
Thanks for the feedback.

This is the best picture I have handy. It shows the label in a very uncommon type of Edison record sleeve:
First paper Edison.jpg
As for the asterisks - scroll the list down to page 2 :D

I have this particular recording with this label. Saturday Night & Jane .... I was wondering why it was hard to find another copy of this.