Isham Jones? I thought it was Oreste...

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Paal1994
Victor II

Isham Jones? I thought it was Oreste...

Post by Paal1994 »

I was going through some Isham Jones videos over at YouTube when I came across this one which says "Roaring 20s: Isham Jones' Orch. - Thinking Of You, 1926". But when I heard the song it sounded more like the rendition by Oreste & his Queensland Orchestra on Edison. It doesn't have the typical Isham Jones sound to it either.
I believe the video info is wrong and it's Oreste and not Jones. I haven't heard the Oreste rendition in a long time, so I'm not 100% sure. Any thoughts on this?

Paal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z9DfgCpx-0[/youtube]

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: Isham Jones? I thought it was Oreste...

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Paal,

You have very good ears! I listened to both Oreste's diamond disc recording of "Thinking of You" (51885-R) and the Youtube recording, and I can discern NO DIFFERENCE between the two. As far as I can tell, this is Oreste's diamond disc and not a recording by Isham Jones. Furthermore, both recordings are very likely the same take.

I checked the on-line discography and note that the Brunswick dance band rendition was recorded by the Clevelanders on November 16, 1926 and was released as Brunswick 3375-A.

:squirrel:

Rocky
Last edited by EdisonSquirrel on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

And here's the 1928 Vitaphone short of Hazel Green & Company, which opens with the band playing "Thinking of you." This is an exciting vintage performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHYHAh88MbY

:squirrel:

Rocky

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Rocky,

Thanks for the help. I knew when I saw the video that this wasn't Isham Jones. The recording doesn't have Jones' sound too it. But Oreste's rendition is a very good one with an excellent vocal refrain by the great Arthur Fields.

Great Vitaphone short you linked too! I enjoyed it very much.

Paal.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Definitely not Isham Jones. Not bad though. Sounds like a good acoustic, typical of an Edison recording from this period. I don't have the record you mention, so I defer to your judgment.
Adam