Victor Radio Tone Demonstration (circa 1927).

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Victor Radio Tone Demonstration (circa 1927).

Post by MordEth »

Viva-Tonal wrote:And some plants used label stocks sooner than others. In fact my copy of Victor 22227 also has this style of scroll label and it was recorded in November 1929!
When exactly did Victor start to transition away from the label above, anyway?

(I’m still terrible at assigning dates to the various Victor labels.)

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

That is indeed a neat record I have a copy myself, and a similar item- a 12 inch center start disc demonstrating the Atwater-Kent "Golden Voice" radio. It's probably a Viva tonal recording and is pretty good.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

MordEth wrote:
Viva-Tonal wrote:And some plants used label stocks sooner than others. In fact my copy of Victor 22227 also has this style of scroll label and it was recorded in November 1929!
When exactly did Victor start to transition away from the label above, anyway?

(I’m still terrible at assigning dates to the various Victor labels.)

— MordEth

1929 was the year of the 'Victor Talking Machine Division/Radio-victor Corporation of America' version, with 'Orthophonic Recording' in a sharper curve at the top of the label.

1930, and until 1935, the labels state 'RCA Victor Company, Inc./Camden, NJ.' About 1932 'For best results use Victor Needles' was dropped and 'Not Licensed for Radio Broadcast' added in its place.

A 1930 example:

A 1933 example:

1935 to the end in October 1937: The letters VE at the top and bottom of the labels disappear, along with 'Orthophonic Recording'. 'Red Seal Record' appears in the arc formerly occupied by 'Orthophonic....' on those releases, and the name is no longer 'Victrola' on them, as it had been on all scroll Red Seals AFAIK, but is Victor. The company name is changed once again to 'RCA Manufacturing Co., Inc. Camden, N.J. USA.'

A 1936 example:

PS--Glad you all like my dub! Thanks!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Viva-Tonal,

Thanks for posting the examples and the years—while I have seen a lot of the variations, I’m still very bad at remembering the label chronology.

Pictures make it a lot easier to differentiate which label was which.

Thanks again!

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

You're welcome! (Sorry my pix are not better; I only have a phone camera with which to take digital pictures.)