Victor Radio Tone Demonstration (circa 1927).

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Victor Radio Tone Demonstration (circa 1927).

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Here's an unusual scroll Victor I have. The catalogue number on the labels is D-1. There is a defect embedded in the shellac visible at the same place on both sides of the disc, and it will be audible as a series of thumps....transfers made at 77 rpm. For convenience of downloading both sides of the record are joined together.

Part 1: No compromise with purity of tone. Milton J. Cross, announcing.

Part 2: 'Victory' (Victor's radio signature). Victor Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Nathaniel Shilkret.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kvzmci2zz4n

beaumonde
Victor III

Re: Victor Radio Tone Demonstration (circa 1927).

Post by beaumonde »

Fascinating audio document -- thanks so much for posting this.

The irony, of course, is that the vast majority of radio sets in 1927 used those infernal horns, producing much less fidelity than an acoustic phonograph. This could well have been a demonstration of electrical recording, per se, but listeners to this record (meant to be played over the air? given away as a promo record?) would hear much more music from it played from a Credenza.
Adam

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Unfortunately, all I can download is an unrecognisable file, so I can't play it. It doesn't matter if I use IE or FireFox. Could you perhaps post it on box.net? Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Bart

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

bart1927 wrote:Unfortunately, all I can download is an unrecognisable file, so I can't play it. It doesn't matter if I use IE or FireFox. Could you perhaps post it on box.net? Thanks in advance!
Bart,

It seems that the problem is that the file name is too long and gets truncated, thus losing its ‘.mp3’ extension—or at least that’s what I am seeing when I download it in Firefox. I was too lazy to try it in other browsers.

I’ve uploaded here, with a shorter file name and the proper extension. It plays without issue for me.

You may need to right-click that link and select ‘Save Link As...’ to download it, as your browser will most likely call upon a plugin to play it in the browser.

Hope this helps.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

bart1927 wrote:Unfortunately, all I can download is an unrecognisable file, so I can't play it. It doesn't matter if I use IE or FireFox. Could you perhaps post it on box.net? Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Bart
I can't get it to upload on box.net. (I use FF as well.) That is where I first attempted to upload it, and it won't go through.

Here it is at Badongo:

http://www.badongo.com/audio/13045691

If this doesn't work, I hope someone else here can re-upload it onto box.net....

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

MordEth wrote: I’ve uploaded here, with a shorter file name and the proper extension. It plays without issue for me.

Hope this helps.

— MordEth

Thanks for sorting this!

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Thanks everybody! I didn´t have to download the file again, I just changed the file name and added .mp3 to it. Now it plays fine.

Thanks for posting!

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

This has to be later than 1927. Cross touts the Micro- Synchronous radio which was introduced in 1929...and a good set they are. I uploaded that pic of McCormack leaning on one just the other day. If I had to quess I'd date this late '29 or early '30.

Jim

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Viva~tonal,

Neat, a fantastic treasure. It reminds me of the more primitive Columbia Double-faced demonstration record from '08. Thanks.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:This has to be later than 1927. Cross touts the Micro- Synchronous radio which was introduced in 1929...and a good set they are. I uploaded that pic of McCormack leaning on one just the other day. If I had to quess I'd date this late '29 or early '30.

Jim
Could be. I'd just guessed at 1927 as that's when the Victor scroll labels first looked like this:

And some plants used label stocks sooner than others. In fact my copy of Victor 22227 also has this style of scroll label and it was recorded in November 1929!