'Exploitation record' for a 1929 Morton Downey film.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-Tonal
Victor II

'Exploitation record' for a 1929 Morton Downey film.

Post by Viva-Tonal »

This is something I found at an antique store in Kahoka, Missouri about 20 years ago. It was apparently made for play in cinemas to promote a film called MOTHER'S BOY which featured Morton Downey in the title role. He also sang several numbers in the film, two of which are excerpted here, 'I'll always be Mother's boy' and 'There'll be you and I' (coupled on Victor 21940).

No catalogue number on this disc; the same recording is on both sides. Matrix number is BVE 51842-3R; approximate production date is 24 May 1929. Transferred at 78.26 rpm.

Click on the label!

Neophone
Victor III

Re: 'Exploitation record' for a 1929 Morton Downey film.

Post by Neophone »

Viva~tonal,

WOW, That's a great curiosity. Thank you for sharing it. So many of these type of specialty records haven't survived in good condition, it's a rare treat.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

You're welcome!

jazzgirl1920s
Victor Jr

Post by jazzgirl1920s »

That is a great record. A really rare item. Thanks for sharing that promotional record for that film. I have seen a promotional record for the film Broadway Melody from 1929 with Charles King, Bessie Love and Anita Page. A collector had the record to show to Anita Page when she was a guest at the Cinema Collectors Convention in Hollywood a few years back. Broadway Melody was an MGM film and i noticed Mother's Boy was a Pathé film so maybe there were promotional records for different studios films. I wish I had a scan of that promotional record for the 1929 film Broadway Melody that collector had. It was a picture record with a picture of the stars in the film on the record. Not just on the label but the entire record.

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Here's an excerpt from the 1929 film "Syncopation" with Morton Downey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54FmXMhMp0

:squirrel: :squirrel:

Rocky