How to play DD's on a modern turntable

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Paal1994
Victor II

How to play DD's on a modern turntable

Post by Paal1994 »

Here's a quick tutorial on how to play Diamond Discs on a modern turntable without rewiring to hill & dale.
More in the video description.

[youtubehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2k7vR46dAM[/youtubehq]

Paal.

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: How to play DD's on a modern turntable

Post by Wolfe »

The speakers or something down the line would still have to be wired/connected out of phase for that to work, no?

Otherwise the stereo output of the headphone jack would still just render the lateral information.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

It appears he's just running it through the speakers in stereo....which gives you out of phase mono.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Paal, that's a nice demonstration video. And you have a very nice Numark turntable! But Viva-Tonal is right, you are playing it in stereo and therefore catching lot's of surface noise too. For previewing records, it is still absolutely enough.

I finally wrote a little tutorial to digitally convert such a stereo signal to vertical mono:

How to digitally switch to vertical cut

I made several screen shots, hopefully they do explain everything according to my comments.

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Viva-Tonal and Norman,

Yes, you are right that it gives some surface noise, when played in stereo. But it sounds good enough. At least for me :lol: It will of course sound better in mono. But for me it's just a temporary solution for previewing discs.
I expected some surface noise when I first tried this as it was in stereo, but it's not that bad actually.
Great tutoial Norman!

Paal.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Great record Paal, Rose of Bombay, one of my favorites on early 20s diamond disc. Sounds a little bit slow though, (I think anyway).

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Valecnik wrote:Great record Paal, Rose of Bombay, one of my favorites on early 20s diamond disc. Sounds a little bit slow though, (I think anyway).
Bruce,

A little slow, but a great record as you said. The other side by the Broadway Dance Orchestra is great too.

Paal.