Columbia 20th Century 6'' long 3-minute cylinder records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Columbia 20th Century 6'' long 3-minute cylinder records

Post by Phonofreak »

Count me in. I'll buy one. Hopefully it's a good title, and not something boring. Maybe Uncle Josh, Billy Murray, Ada Jones, etc? It sounds like a worthwhile project.
Harvey Kravitz

talvalewis
Victor Jr

Post by talvalewis »

Sign me up for one record! I vote for a brass band or hot jass! Thanks, Terry

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ But they're looking for music suggestions around three minutes in length. If it was jazz a three minute selection would have to be copied from a shellac disc, right ? Maybe Norman already does that, I dunno.

I like the boxes of those cylinders. I didn't know that Columbia used the "Banner" on their cylinder boxes.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

It can absolutely be copied from a disc or cylinder - he wants a raw digital source. So the challenge is to find an awesome number no longer than 3 minutes in length. Suggestions?

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I think I have the answer...just pulled out my old multi-LP set of the compiled works of Bix. They give the duration of each selection, on the sleeve. A quick scan shows that there are many with a duration of 3:00 or less.

One that pops out at me is Barnacle Bill The Sailor - Hoagy Carmichael with Bix - timing in at 2:51:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wts5r4QLgig

But also worthy is Bix with the Wolverines, doing "Big Boy" with Bix soloing on both cornet and piano, at 2:47:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5ZD2wWEGlY

...and any number of others.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

This sounds like a wonderful idea for those that own the machines that can play Columbia 20th Century 6" cylinders. I do not own one of these machines and probably never will due to pricing, but another reason was the lack of cylinders for them.

This fills a void and hopefully one day there will be a nice selection of recordings that can be had for these machines. I believe Vulcan has one title out that will fit these machines.

All the best on the project!

Jerry P.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Bix Bix Bix, At The Jazz Band Ball or Since My Best Girl Turned Me Down Bix Bix!!

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I know Paul Morris made some cut black wax 20th centuries, that looked fantastic, about 15 years ago. My mold will make 6" long blanks, but I have no machines that play or record 20th century cylinders. If someone has a machine I can make the metallic soap blanks for you to record on. I have also thought about make a recording machine out of an Ediphone shaver, as a triple spring motor could be mounted below, and a 97 ⅓ (98,99) feed screw made for it, and on the mandrel an 8 tooth for four minute and 16 tooth for two minute gear made, and it would then record masters for the 20th century cylinders, and these masters could be electrically recorded and sent to Vulcan for processing into moulded records, he gave me the particulars, of making a master cylinder for his process. My mold is 6 ½" long, and the mandrel 7" long. Just a thought, I wish I had more time to work on cylinders :cry: If anyone wants to they can come here with a machine like a BF and experiment recording masters if they like. Just contact me northamericanphono@gmail.com. Or call (815) 876-6897 after 3pm. (I work from 7am-3pm 6 days a week manufacturing AR 15 and M 16 rifles. )

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

The majority of Columbia Graphophones that played the 6 inch size was limited.Certainly Edison was NOT going to adapt his machines for a rival product!Imagine if there was a 6 inch cylinder using the 4 minute groove! :D edisonplayer

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

edisonphonoworks wrote:I know Paul Morris made some cut black wax 20th centuries, that looked fantastic, about 15 years ago. My mold will make 6" long blanks, but I have no machines that play or record 20th century cylinders. If someone has a machine I can make the metallic soap blanks for you to record on. I have also thought about make a recording machine out of an Ediphone shaver, as a triple spring motor could be mounted below, and a 97 ⅓ (98,99) feed screw made for it, and on the mandrel an 8 tooth for four minute and 16 tooth for two minute gear made, and it would then record masters for the 20th century cylinders, and these masters could be electrically recorded and sent to Vulcan for processing into moulded records, he gave me the particulars, of making a master cylinder for his process. My mold is 6 ½" long, and the mandrel 7" long. Just a thought, I wish I had more time to work on cylinders :cry: If anyone wants to they can come here with a machine like a BF and experiment recording masters if they like. Just contact me northamericanphono@gmail.com. Or call (815) 876-6897 after 3pm. (I work from 7am-3pm 6 days a week manufacturing AR 15 and M 16 rifles. )
Well, I did recently get a recorder for my BF... :)

Bill