Columbia 20th Century 6'' long 3-minute cylinder records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Columbia 20th Century 6'' long 3-minute cylinder records

Post by Lucius1958 »

yankmycrank wrote:For a worthwhile 3 minute Columbia cylinder there's Bert Williams' "Here It Comes Again", which was reissued in the Archeophone set (Bert Williams: The Early Years).
I would gladly buy a copy of that... :D

Bill

talvalewis
Victor Jr

Post by talvalewis »

What's the count?

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Pretty sure we have the necessary folks for at least ten orders now. I'm going to be making a detailed posting tomorrow with ordering details, pending confirmation from Norman.

I'll post it in the Yankee Trader section, plus will PM it to the folks who have already expressed an interest.

Send me PMs if you want to be on the list!

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Ok, we are now ready to go!

Here are the details:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=27878

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Since Norman is putting Barnacle Bill on a 6 inch cylinder, I hope he will also do it on a standard Edison cylinder. I like Barnacle Bill and it would be great on an Edison, too. I think a lot here would like that.It's got Bix and it's racy, too!! :o :evil:

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

I guess nobody likes my idea.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Ok folks, just a reminder. We only need a few more people to sign up, so if you're on the fence, please take action.

As a point of reference, a real 20th Century cylinder just sold on Ebay for $260:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282241192389

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Here is a moldy real one that sold the other day for $130, and is probably unlistenable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201776965694

We made a couple of extra copies of our new cylinder, in case anyone has changed their mind or would otherwise be interested in obtaining one. View the earlier messages in this string as well as here (http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=27878) for more info, then PM me with your interest.

Norman tells me production is proceeding on schedule and that the preliminary results are excellent.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I've just gotten a progress report from Norman, who tells me the test pressings have been largely successful, but with a few places where the sound levels need adjustment. Thus we can expect a delay of perhaps 2-3 more weeks.

In the meantime, the box label design is almost complete. It's quite beautiful, being a slight update and modification of the original. We will be providing the end cap, lid, and cap label unattached, in order to give the buyer the option of using original gray-blue Columbia caps and lids, gluing them to the box, and gluing the new label to the lid. Original lids and end caps from commonly found standard Columbia cylinder boxes are the same and will fit perfectly.

We've seen three or so original 20th Century 6" cylinders pop up on ebay over the past few weeks, all fetching a pretty penny...more expensive, less listenable, and far more fragile that the impending new ones...so if you're at all interested in one of the new ones, act now, for the window for ordering will very soon be closed forever.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Here's a quick update...

Production of the cylinders is imminent, and although it has certainly taken a bit longer than anyone expected, the extra testing and refinement of quality will make the wait worthwhile.

In the meantime, Norman and I have worked hard to create the labels for the box. Here's a preview.

It's not too late to order one for yourself. Keep in mind that due to the special difficulties of producing these special cylinders, once the window has closed, it's likely to be closed forever.
Attachments
IMG_7503.JPG