The Man From The South

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victor78
Victor I

The Man From The South

Post by Victor78 »

My first time using boxnet, I hope it works :lol:

I got this record with a Brunswick machine I picked up this week. The record is in poor shape, so the recording isn't very good. It's on the Van Dyke label, not sure If I ever heard that name before, or saw the label for that matter, but I though it was pretty cool. Ive attached a photo of the label. The song itself is way cool! Does anyone have any information about the record and the band? Id like to find more of this 8-)

http://www.box.net/shared/rhdzqaqufz

Lets see if this works :geek:
Attachments
DSC01757s.jpg

Schmaltz
Victor I
Personal Text: "Shut Your Eyes and See" (J. Joyce)

Re: The Man From The South

Post by Schmaltz »

Nice label! Thanks for posting that.

The recording was a Grey Gull issue, catalog number 1845, and VanDyke was one of many labels that used Grey Gull masters. It was recorded on March of 1930. The reference for it is on the page linked below:

http://78discography.com/GG1500.htm

The matrix number, 3910, is the same as was used on the Grey Gull pressing. There's others on this forum who know the Grey Gull line better than I do (Frederick? Are you there?), so I'll let them maybe take a guess as to who is playing on this disc.

MorDeth, take note: there needs to be an example of VanDyke in the Label gallery...
Visit the virtual jukebox at The Old Schmaltz Archives.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Nice scat arrangement at the end!

Fredrik
Victor O

Post by Fredrik »

Here I am!

Nice Greu Gull side that I've never heard before. It's not listed under the heading "Grey Gull studio band" in Rust's dance band discography, but that list is highly incomplete anyhow. Aurally however I'd say that it misses some of the typical trade marks of the studio band (no accordion, no xylophone) though the trumpet player might well be Mike Mosiello. The presence of the harmonica and the scat singing makes me think that this might be a Fred Hall group (and Mosiello played with that band as well) which were also quite frequent on Grey Gull.

Fredrik
Desperately seeking more storage space!

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Victor78,

That's a great side! Thanks for sharing it. I am so behind in checking out all the great music you folks have up-loaded-please forgive me!

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Neophone wrote:Victor78,

That's a great side! Thanks for sharing it. I am so behind in checking out all the great music you folks have up-loaded-please forgive me!

Regards,
John
Thanks John and thanks Fredrik for the great info on the band. It is a great tune, and now one of my favorites. I really enjoy this type of music and may have to go back and try and clean up the recording a bit more. A good winter project :D

Dont worry John, I dont get in here as often as I would like either. But when I do, there usually are some nice treasures to find. Enjoy!

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Here's a version I've had for about 20 years. Mine's pretty badly trashed as well. Here's what it sounds like after 8 hours of working on it with Audacity....just click on the label!

Electrically recorded 14 January 1930.

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Thats a great recording too! Good job cleaning it up as well. I'll have to keep my eyes open (record wise) for different versions. That is, unless they were all recycled for new records like the video :lol: Thanks again for posting!