Sears Roebuck spoken announcement record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Sears Roebuck spoken announcement record

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

While casually checking out the old records at the archive.org site today, I cam across a record with the following announcement: "Sears Roebuck record, 'When the birds go north again,' sung by Silas Leachman." The date was given as 1898. This was the first time I've heard a Sears spoken announcement. It really caught me by surprise. I was under the impression that Sears issued records only on the Oxford label in the early days. Does anyone know anything about this label/announcement?

:squirrel: :?: :squirrel:

Rocky

WDC
Victor IV

Re: Sears Roebuck spoken announcement record

Post by WDC »

Well, I know this transfer very well because it's a rip from one of Glenn Sage's CD releases, in this case the The Brown Wax Sampler 1891-1903, track 20. The cylinder is a concert sized one. Glenn has put so much effort into his releases that it really hurts to see this happen over and over again. Plus the fact that it sounds like a poor quality rip too. There is no, absolutely no reference to his website at least. I only can encourage anyone to get his CD's, they supply so much valuable information about each transfer.

I actually suspect that it might be the very same person who once ripped over 60 songs from my website a few years ago. It was a different mail account, but also a yahoo address.