CD Review

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Neophone
Victor III

CD Review

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

I just received a copy of Piron's New Orleans Orchestra Retrieval RTR79041. It's fantastic It contains twenty sides-just about all A.J.Piron ever recorded. I was led to this CD issue after a couple of cuts were played on The Jazz Decades with Ray Smith. If you are a lover of acoustic era N.O. Jazz you cant be without this issue. :D

The peppy Bouncing Around and the fun vocal of West Indies Blues sung by Ester Bigeou are two favorites of mine. Piron's recording of Do Doodle Oom compares very favorable with Fletcher Henderson's contemporary recording. Ghost of the Blues has a nice easy tempo-makes me think of a dance floor full of Sheiks and Shebas. ;)

The liner notes are very good even if they contain a number of typos, my biggest complaint is the lack of recording company catalogue numbers in the discography. It just contains dates and matrix numbers which means a bit more work to figure out labels.

Regards,
John

Image from Jazz Age Banjo

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

WDC
Victor IV

Re: CD Review

Post by WDC »

John,

I am glad that you found this album. I stumbled over it in January along with several over releases by Retrival, and I do appreciate these new re-issues very much. All their albums feature a great and very enjoyable sound quality, no dead filtering as many others. Therefore many of the records which had been already issued by others are in much better quality at Retrieval.

I found a link where all important albums are listed as thumb pictures: http://www.mtraks.com/label/retrieval/

I'd also like to add some additional must-haves:
  • Fess Williams - Pre-Victors, The Complete Set 1925-1927
    The Georgians 1922-1923
    The University Six 1925-1927