The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is the origin of the World's Greatest Music records?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:19 am 
Victor IV
Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan
I have a bunch of classical records that came out in 1938 and later, and were sold in grocery stores and variety stores at low prices. Some of them say Philharmonic Transcription, or World's Greatest Music, or World's Greatest Operas. Some of them have a blue label with wheat or grain design on the label. Others came out with the bust of the composer on the label. I was playing some of them and they sound like very good performances with good clear sound. The labels do not indicate who the performers are or even the name of the orchestra. Does anyone know who the performers and orchestras are on these and what record company pressed these records. I was told once that these are great records to play on your old Orthophonic machine as they sound good. In the 1950's, a set of boxed LP albums came out also called The World's Greatest Music in dark green albums. I remember them in our house in the 1960's, but I don't know if they are connected to the 78 rpm versions.

Attachments:
wgoverdi.jpeg
wgoverdi.jpeg [ 36.93 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]
wgoverd3.jpeg
wgoverd3.jpeg [ 330.51 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]
wgoverd.jpeg
wgoverd.jpeg [ 339.36 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]
wgmsjsb.jpeg
wgmsjsb.jpeg [ 274.36 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]
wgmsgsb0.jpeg
wgmsgsb0.jpeg [ 42.62 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]
wgms-tsc.jpeg
wgms-tsc.jpeg [ 169.51 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]
wgms-l1600.jpeg
wgms-l1600.jpeg [ 322.55 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]

Post subject: Re: What is the origin of the World's Greatest Music records
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:49 pm 
Victor VI
I have good days...this might not be one of them
I forget the exact details, but some of the performances are by the Philadelphia Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy, also Fritz Reiner & Artur Rodzinski. Here is some info from the web: "A complete discography of both this series and "The World's Greatest Opera"
discs was published in the ARSC Journal in the 1970s. You may be able to find
it in a public or university library.

Some highlights of WGM attributions that I can recall OTTOHM:

Reiner/NYP: Wagner: Die Meistersinger - Prelude to Act I and Parsifal - Prelude
to Act I

Ormandy/PO: Bach: Brandenburg Concertos 2 and 3; Mozart: Symphony No. 40;
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5; Brahms: Symphony No. 2

Rodzinski/NBC SO: Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4; Franck: Symphony in D Minor

Stiedtry/New Friends of Music O: Haydn: Symphony No. 99; Tchaikovsky:
Nutcracker Suite.

These were all recorded in late 1938/early 1939, IIRC, and used reduced
personnel, generally in large halls. (Rodzinski's NBC discs were done in
Carnegie a couple years before RCA moved Toscanini's recording sessions there.)"

There are some excellent performances to be found on them, as is true of the later LP sets sold in supermarkets & such.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:30 pm 
Victor IV
Thanks Estott for that information. I wonder if the 1958 LPs that came out through The New Funk and Wagnalls Encyclopedia were just a recycling of the 1938-39 recordings? Since the LPs are mono recordings in an age of stereo, this is a possibility. I think the LP sets were sold through subscriptions from magazine ads. I know that since my mom got some of these albums, they were my first venture into hearing classical music when I was about 12 or 13. There was also another similar set in red boxes of classical LPs put out in 16 volumes called the Philharmonic Family Library of Great Music, edited by Joseph Machlis, a music professor and author at Queen's College. There is no date on this set, but it looks like it's from the '50s also, and it is also all mono recordings. I have no idea where it got its recordings, or if it is connected to the World's Greatest Music records.

It looks like Allen Sutton and Kurt Nauck's information from American Record Labels and Companies is slightly off. They say that the World's Greatest Music label published records in 1941-42 for Music Appreciation Products, Inc. I do have one record pressed in 1941 titled World's Greatest Symphonies with the title above saying Music Appreciation Records.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:48 pm 
Victor III
Then there were the green label "Masterpiece" pressings...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:16 pm 
Victor V
I don't have any historical information about the company or the series, but I would assume that they might have been available through a subscription, similar to the Musical Heritage Society ?

I have a number of these WGM / WGO albums from the 1940's ,some with the blue-background labels, and others with the very lovely cream-colored labels with a head image of the composer.

In general, the performances on these discs sound very good.

The quality of the album binder itself is modest: the envelopes hold up pretty well, but the covers are very simple and the end boards somewhat more flexible than Victor or Columbia albums of the same era.
De Soto Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:31 am 
Victor IV
Yes, they are kind of like the paperback editions of the albums, whereas the Victor and Columbia albums were the hardbacks. Victor did press budget versions of classical music with less well known conductors and orchestras on black labels with flimsy stiff boards for album covers. I have a few of these. It was their albums for budget minded buyers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:14 pm 
Victor I
I have quite a few of these actually, including Beethoven 5, 6 and 9, and the Brandenburg concertos. But I would think the same applies here as to even the higher priced symphonic sets that there usually isn't much collectible value, or particular musical value regarding otherwise lost/obscure performers or performance practice, as there is for chamber and operatic 78s. Is this true or are is it worth looking out for more?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:31 am 
Victor IV
Yes, you are right in thinking these are records that usually go to the dumpster, or are given away. Their money value is virtually nil. Their musical value is high to me, but not to many others. The nice thing about these records is you can play them with your heavy tonearm or pickup without worrying about wearing out an expensive record. Someone above also mentioned the green label records called "A Best Loved Famous Music presentation". Whereas the Philharmonic Transcription series dealt almost exclusively in symphonies, with the exception of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto, and highlights from great operas, the Famous Music series deals almost exclusively in tone poems, ballet suites, and overtures. Examples include ballet music from Gounod's Faust; Spanish Caprice by Rimsky-Korsakov; and Dance of the Hours by Ponchielli. I think the Famous Music series of records came out later in the 40s, but that is a guess.