Florence Foster Jenkins on New Cylinder??

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
RefSeries
Victor I

Re: Florence Foster Jenkins on New Cylinder??

Post by RefSeries »

What I hope to do in the future, maybe months, maybe years from now. Is put out new music, and skits, some of modern contemporary origin, and some re-enacted, that is real musicians and singers re-creating original recording, and putting that out. It is nice it will be recorded with similar equipment, and some of the same equipment that recorded Edison masters, the recording head I have cut Edison master cylinders.
Couldn't agree more. We are at the (very) early stage of doing just that. Not finalized yet but this will probably still be operatic in nature, and it will be fun trying to adequately replicate the acoustic recording skills of a century ago. Wish us luck!

Keith

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

RefSeries wrote:
What I hope to do in the future, maybe months, maybe years from now. Is put out new music, and skits, some of modern contemporary origin, and some re-enacted, that is real musicians and singers re-creating original recording, and putting that out. It is nice it will be recorded with similar equipment, and some of the same equipment that recorded Edison masters, the recording head I have cut Edison master cylinders.
Couldn't agree more. We are at the (very) early stage of doing just that. Not finalized yet but this will probably still be operatic in nature, and it will be fun trying to adequately replicate the acoustic recording skills of a century ago. Wish us luck!

Keith
Have you contacted Jonas Kaufmann or Anna Sophie Mutter? Maybe they'd be interested? :)

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Hi Valecnik,

What a great idea. My wife thinks the world of Jonas and we would definitely
be buyers of any hard resin cylinders he would be willing to record. He is very close to Sir Antonio Pappano, musical director of the London Opera,so maybe CLPGS could advance that. They probably could get Vulcan interested, too.
Norman Bruderhofer would probably like this, as well.
Thanks,
John

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Two words: Ramona Baker.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

I don't, of course, know how he did it, but, Norman Bruderhofer's "Tiger Rag" is a marvel of cylinder recording.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

With regard to 'new music for old machines', and what may or may not be "appropriate", has anyone taken a look at the QRS Piano Roll Catalog anytime recently ?

https://www.qrsmusic.com/music.asp?cid1=28

I see they do offer that great Tin Pan Alley classic, "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" ... :lol:

https://www.qrsmusic.com/music.asp?cid1 ... 37&pid=828

Back in the 1970's, during the Ragtime Revival, player pianos experienced kind of a fleeting renaissance, frequently in pubs and "theme restaurants" (anybody from the Baltimore area remember "Pappy's Pizza", with their glass-front, glitter & Day-Glo fluorescent coin-op upright player pianos, with a stack of rolls on top ? ).

Even as a grade schooler then, it kind of seemed "not right" to me to hear songs like "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the old Oak Tree", or "Raindrops keep fallin' on my head" coming from a big upright player-piano.

By now, I'm sure QRS has Britney Spears and Lady Gaga in their catalog... :o

For the music producers / marketers, it's about "selling music", in whatever format will sell best.

I have three of the original Jenkins 12" Melotones, and they are indeed horrific to listen to, yet somewhat fun in a macabre way... at least to this Music Major. :roll:

Putting them on new cylinders would not be too far removed from a brown-wax home recording of a well-intentioned, but not very proficient amateur soprano from before the Great War...

How many people would be interested in cylinder versions of FFJ ? Well, maybe not enough to be worth the trouble, but it would be interesting to hear.

Another way to look at the question, is that the supply of original recordings of both cylinder and disc records is finite, and diminishing every day.

Many of us who play our machines are always (?) on the look-out for material to play on them.

That there are people out there like Shawn Borrie, Norm Bruderhoffer, Donnie J, and others who are making new records to play on ancient phonographs is a wonderful gift.

To have the opportunity to buy fresh, new recordings for century-old, obsolete equipment is wonderful indeed.

And there are some musicians out there who have a lot of fun doing "old" versions of "modern" music...

My favorite example of this last genre is German band leader Max Raabe and Der Palastorchester, who are fantastic musicians and showmen, and do really fun "covers" of things like, "Oops, I did it again", "Sex Bomb", and "Super Trouper", as well as their wonderful repertoire of Weimar-era German "schlager" club music.

Just one more opinion to throw on the fire on a cold, wet February evening... ;)

:coffee:
Last edited by De Soto Frank on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De Soto Frank

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Max Raabe & Palastorchester - "Oops, I did it again ! "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBQ3bNNwHs

I don't know if I'd want it on new "blue amberol", but I think I WOULD buy it on one of Donnie's new disc records... would sound neat coming out of my Orthophonic... :mrgreen:
De Soto Frank