Musical Find

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Neophone
Victor III

Musical Find

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

Earlier this week I was fortunate to be contacted through, a fellow member, by a charming woman in Dorchester. She had done a house clean-out at the home of a late priest's family. Among everything were some 78s that the auctioneer wasn't interested in. Rather than throw them away she took the time to find someone who would want them nearby-It happened to be me! :)

Maybe about sixty records 10" & 12" mostly acoustic Columbias, a small stack of five line Patent Victors and two Diamond Discs. Also an Edison DD record brush, a 1940 Victor supplement and a box of Veribest needles.

A nice Columbia of the Preacher and the Bear, one each of the two big note Columbia demonstration records. A Victor scroll of two Carter family numbers as well as a Duke Ellington scroll Victor. A copy of Under the Anhauser Bush, Two Deccas of a group called the Harlem Hamfats :lol: Who were actually from Chicago, a neat local record sleeve &c.

The Brush reads:

F.H.THOMAS CO.
Headquarters for the "NEW EDISON" and
DIAMOND DISC RECORDS
691 BOYLSTON ST. BOSTON, MASS.
COR. EXETER

Please excuse the mess in my temporary record cataloging room :roll: Yes I've finally started trying to organize my records!

The woman also got herself a beautiful Regina Music Box with about thirty discs. I'd like to help her find out some info on it. Does anyone know of a good website? Thanks

Regards,
John
Attachments
recordsDot.jpg
Victor1940-02.jpg
Victor1940-01.jpg
Rosens-01.jpg
ColumbiaDDD-01.jpg
VictorV-40229-a.jpg
VeribestNeedles-01.jpg
EdisonBrush-01.jpg

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Musical Find

Post by Wolfe »

All that plus a Carter Family disc, nice score!

Whenever I see beat up old album binders like the ones pictured, my hands reach for them as though drawn by powerful magnets. You always seem to find the best records in those things.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Wolfe,

Thanks, Thanks to my adventure with the beat-up VV-X I always check the record compartment and check inside binder!!!!!

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

Post by 1926CredenzaOwner »

!
Last edited by 1926CredenzaOwner on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Wow! Great finds! Must have been like Christmas going through everything. :)

I'm still looking for a copy of "Under The Anheuser Busch" as my father is an engineer for Anheuser. I had a copy to give him for his birthday and it unfortunately dropped and broke. I have searched ever since and can't find one. Is this your only copy? If not, would you be willing to sell one?

Either way, great finds!

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

I love that sleeve-I'm always on the look-out for anything phonographic related to Boston.

Sonny, Sorry it's my only copy. You might want to put a wanted listing in the Yankee Trader section.

Regards,
John