What is your oldest record?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Menophanes
Victor II

Re: What is your oldest record?

Post by Menophanes »

bfinan11 wrote:Is it truly a record if you can't play it / there isn't enough of it left to play?
Absurd though the statement may seem, it is possible that this precious fragment could be made to yield a sound – and that without touching it or interfering with it in any way. http://www.loc.gov/preservation/outreac ... loclr=eapn is an hour-long lecture describing the use of computer techniques on 2-minute cylinders made by the ethnomusicologist Frederick Krober in California between 1914 and 1939. The cylinders are digitally scanned at a very high resolution, special software is used on the scans to eliminate damage and artefacts, and the resulting edited scans can then be translated, by further software, into audio files. Even fragmentary cylinders have been decoded by this method; it is a matter of creating a virtual cylinder and then fitting the scanned fragments into their places within it. Thus, in the present case, it should be possible – provided the mandrel dimensions of the original tinfoil phonograph were known or could be credibly reconstructed – to put a scan of this fragment into its correct context, so as to allow the right time-lapse between the end of one groove and the beginning of the next. Whether this would result in any intelligible sounds is debatable but not, I think, entirely impossible; as I understand it, tinfoil cylinders were recorded at quite low speeds (I have seen 60 r.p.m. quoted in a British magazine article of 1879), so that there may possibly be enough even in these very short grooves to reveal a few syllables or notes as the case may be.

I have no idea whether the facilities at University of California at Berkeley are accessible to outsiders, but surely the staff there would show some sympathy, given the outstanding historical interest of this fragment.

Oliver Mundy.

dennis
Victor I

Post by dennis »

Regarding IRENE, does anyone know of any large scale, published undertakings using this process? All I've ever seen and heard have been little snippets which demonstrate the process. As far as I can tell, IRENE remains an unfulfilled promise. Please, someone prove me wrong!

RefSeries
Victor I

Post by RefSeries »

I can't match a piece of tinfoil or a clay pot but the earliest disc I have is Berliner 163Y of 31st Oct 95 - When summer comes again, by George Gaskin. I have some early brown wax cylinders but as others have said these can be hard to date accurately.

Keith
Berliner  163Y.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The oldest Berliner that I owned was an 1894 recording of Cornet Duet... sadly now in the hands of another well known collector...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

The oldest playable record I have is a Kämmer, Reinhardt & Co. hard rubber pressing of autumn 1890, recorded in (most likely) December 1889. Emile Berliner himself recites "Die Wacht am Rhein": http://grammophon-platten.de/e107_plugi ... hp?41460.0

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I have a few Berliners and a box of Columbia brown wax cylinders.Both came from Jerry Donnell.edisonplayer