Dan Gregory (no music, just info and a plea I'm afraid)

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Fredrik
Victor O

Dan Gregory (no music, just info and a plea I'm afraid)

Post by Fredrik »

Dan Gregory is one of the many obscure bandleaders who recorded a handful of sides during the 1920s with little known musicians. However, recently the nephew of one of Gregory's band members has started a blog devoted to this band and has started gathering photos and other documents as well as recollections from relatives of other band members.

The man behind the blog has also written an article on Wikipedia about Gregory. Originally it was very poorly written and was almost immediately threatened with deletion. However, I gave it a fundamental rewriting, adding further sources, and hopyfully the article will now be kept. Still there is lots of more that could be added (for example Greogory's dates of birth and death), and thus I encourage everyone who has any scrap of information on Gregory to participate!

Perhaps anyone has access to Billboard and/or Variety from the years (c. 1923-24) when Gregory played in New York?

Fredrik
Desperately seeking more storage space!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Dan Gregory (no music, just info and a plea I'm afraid)

Post by MordEth »

Fredrik,

There really isn’t much information about him online, is there? I made some effort at trying to find you something via a number of Google searches, but was not having much success.

The blog did have a good photo, though:

(Dan Gregory Orchestra, 1940-1941)

Hopefully someone else here can help you out, though.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.