You never know what may turn up

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
FloridaClay
Victor VI

You never know what may turn up

Post by FloridaClay »

I stuck my nose into a little local SPCA thrift shop in my small town today and there, among piles of LPs, was a complete and intact Lucia Di Lammermoor on 13 12" Columbia Masterworks 78s recorded at La Scala, priced at $7. Of course it had to come home with me. There is no indication when it was recorded, any brochure that may have come with it being long gone. The label design copyright is from 1937. I will try to listen to it this week.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: You never know what may turn up

Post by Curt A »

Whatever it is... $7 is a no brainer... hope it turns out to be good.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

If it's Mercedes Capsir / Enzo de Muro Lomanto / Molajoli & La Scala, it's recording is from 1929.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

It shows chorus and orchestra of La Scala, Milan, conducted by Molajoli. There is no list of soloists on the album covers. Names included on the labels include E. Venturini, E. Molinari, S. Baccaloni, Mercedes Capsir, I. Mannarini, etc. A bit of research indicates that the particular record label format was used in 1937 and 1938, but of course it could be a reissue.

Clay
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Not necessarily a "reissue", many complete operas and symphonies were in print for a long time, some for 20+ years during the 78 era. Some of the Victor complete operas such as "Aida", "Don Giovanni" and "Carmen" were later 1920s recordings that stayed in the catalog right up until the format began to be phased out in the late 1940s-early 1950s. Some terrific stuff in those grooves, too.

Sean

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

I once had the opportunity to obtain Tristan und Isolde on 78s. IIRC, there were perhaps three 12" albums, maybe 30 records (60 sides) total, and of course it all weighed a ton. I passed. And it would have been free! Five or six hours of listening, winding, getting up and down, changing needles, dozing off, winding, etc., etc.---somehow it just didn't appeal.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

The Columbia set of Tristan is two volumes, 12 inch discs, I think 30 discs total. It's a beast of a set. Somebody gave it to me years ago in the correct Viva-Tonal albums and booklet. I admit, I've never played it all, along with most of my other complete operas like this but I have them if I ever feel like it!

Sean

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

OrthoSean wrote:The Columbia set of Tristan is two volumes, 12 inch discs, I think 30 discs total. It's a beast of a set. Somebody gave it to me years ago in the correct Viva-Tonal albums and booklet. I admit, I've never played it all, along with most of my other complete operas like this but I have them if I ever feel like it!

Sean
Good luck. It's a bit too much Wagner for me. I couldn't sustain my interest for the duration of the MET matinee broadcast this season. And that didn't even involve changing records!

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

The Lucia has always required a bit of dedication. It is set up to be played one disc at a time (e.g, part 2 is on the back of part 1) rather than being stacked on a changer.

Clay