Hello My Baby by Frank Banta

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Hello My Baby by Frank Banta

Post by chunnybh »

This record is supposed to be the first featuring Nipper on the label. Does anyone have a picture?

Rastus10
Victor I

Re: Hello My Baby by Frank Banta

Post by Rastus10 »

I'm curious as to the source of this claim.

As others can probably state in better detail, there are several labels that show up for Victor recordings from 1900-02, and I've never read that any one record is definitively the "first" as to the dog. I've seen an Improved label record several hundred numbers past the Banta record, thus placing it in the summer of 1901 and yet that label, supposedly, was used only at the tail-end of 1900.

On the other hand, as an example of a potential ragtime piano solo by a fine pianist, I'm sure that more than a few would intrigued to hear the record. Yet, I've never seen a copy uploaded anywhere, and record collectors tend to be decent about that sort of thing. 446 copies were made; surely one exists.
Last edited by Rastus10 on Thu May 11, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Hello, Here is the link.
http://biography.yourdictionary.com/emile-berliner

Like most things on the internet, perhaps it's one persons thoughts rather than fact. Besides none of the links on that page work and there is no authors name.

Surely there should be one record that can clearly make the claim to be the first release with Nipper on the label.

Rastus10
Victor I

Post by Rastus10 »

Agreed: at some point in late 1901 (or early 1902), that "first" label was affixed to some record, and likewise, there is most likely a point within the Victor releases when ALL records had the earliest dog label. My guess is somewhere around the catalogue number 1000, but if someone else knows better that would be welcome information.

Thanks so much for the link!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I agree with Rastus10 that undoubtedly in late 1901 (or more probably early 1902), the first of the "dog labels" were applied to some record. Whatever that title was, it was probably a fast-selling record and thus had exhausted the supply of "pre-dog" labels which had been printed for it. It's also possible that a brand-new recording was supplied with the first of the "dog labels" without ever having been issued with the earlier design.

That said, how would anyone know that Frank Banta's Hello Ma Baby was the one? As pointed out above, no sources are given, nor is an author credited. The write-up contains numerous errors, misspellings, and confusion regarding the first years of Victor and the Berliner Gramophone Company in Canada.

I wish I could supply the information, but I'm unaware of any reliable documentation on this point.

George P.

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

This looks like the source of that article and it also has several spelling mistakes.

http://www.hebrewhistory.info/factpaper ... rliner.htm

"In January, 1900, the painting made its public appearance on the Gramophone Company’s advertisements. Nipper listening to a gramophone was registered as the company’s trademark on July 16, 1900. Nippur first appeared on the back of a recording of Frank Bata singing "Hello my Baby." In 1901 more than two million records were sold by The Gramophone Company"

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Not only spelling mistakes, but factual errors too. Lots of them...!

It may be that even the writer's personal bias crept into this account as well:

Emile Berliner remained trusting of Americans despite his encounters with Bell, Edison and other rapacious American businessmen. Consequently, his bitter experiences in the U.S. A were not yet over.

Now that's painting with a broad brush! :lol:

George P.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

phonogfp wrote:I...how would anyone know that Frank Banta's Hello Ma Baby was the one? As pointed out above, no sources are given, nor is an author credited. ..

I wish I could supply the information, but I'm unaware of any reliable documentation on this point.

George P.
This cites a source -- http://www.cool.conservation-us.org/byf ... 00019.html
"According to "The Story of 'Nipper' and the His Master's Voice Picture",
published by The Gramophone Company in 1973, the first use of the Nipper
image on a record was apparently one of Berliner's Montreal labels in 1900.
Nipper appeared on the back of the single-sided records. The earliest known
item to have the Nipper back is identified as Victor 402
-- Frank Banta's
"Hello My Baby", which went to the pressing plant on September 27 1900, but
it's entirely possible that earlier titles in that series might also have
carried the same image.
"

I noticed it says "earliest known" as opposed to "first" as is reported on other sites, along with the disclaimer, which is omitted entirely.

I don't have a copy of "The Story of Nipper," so I don't know if anything appears in the book's bibliography as a source for the information about the first use of the Nipper label.

OrthoFan

Rastus10
Victor I

Post by Rastus10 »

Thanks for the fine updates, including the original source, which certainly does make a difference from that error-laden page.

As I don't own any Canadian discs of that vintage, I was entirely unaware of the dog being on the reverse side, and, of course, thought that it referred to the label on US issues!

Since the tune was issued in Canada as well, all the more hope that a copy will surface so that we can hear Banta's piano solo! (or that CHH Booth recording of Creole Belles from 1901 needs to surface...)