Nice haul today

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
JohnM
Victor V

Nice haul today

Post by JohnM »

Picked up 61 78's at a rural Indiana barn sale today. Lots of cool stuff including several late maroon-label 'Banner' electrics, i.e., 'Christopher Columbus (A Rhythm Cocktail') b/w 'I'se A Muggin'' by Joe Haymes & His Orch. Banner #6-05-09; a nice stack of 'Uncle Josh' selections including some scarcer titles ('UJ At The Bug House'/'UJ And The Labor Union' on Columbia blue & gold 'Note The Notes' label; some other early talking selections; a 12" Nora Bayes Columbia ('In Your Arms/Just Like A Gypsy'); 3 or 4 'Harmony Disc Record' w/large spindle hole (one is 'Uncle Josh Plays Santa'); 25 'Diamond Record' w/ 'Standard Disc'-sized spindle hole (including 'Casey Jones' and 'Daisy Belle'); and several other dance band selections on 'Cameo', etc., including an orange shellac 'Grey Gull'; and some early string-band stuff, too ('Turkey In The Straw/Old Zip Coon' by Texas fiddler Don Richardson on Col. 'Note The Notes' label -- the first true 'country record' 1916). We won't be home to listen to them until November 10!
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: Nice haul today

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Good variety of records, John! You have plenty of good listening awaiting you next month.

What did you get on the Cameo label?

:squirrel:

Rocky

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Cameo 1245 'Clementine' Varsity Eight b/w 'My New Gal' Walter Johnson & His Orch.

The Grey Gull is #2261 'Baby Face' Arthur Fields b/w 'The Poor Little Rich Girl' Francis Herold.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

John,

Congrats, a very nice haul indeed! :D Just out of curiosity what's the label design and color on the red wax Grey Gull?

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Neophone wrote:John,

Congrats, a very nice haul indeed! :D Just out of curiosity what's the label design and color on the red wax Grey Gull?

Regards,
John
Same as the blue label example on the board label gallery: http://talkingmachine.info/labels/grey_ ... w&number=4

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

JohnM wrote:Cameo 1245 'Clementine' Varsity Eight b/w 'My New Gal' Walter Johnson & His Orch.
Wow, I'd love to hear "Clementine"! I'm sure it isn't as hot as the Goldkette version with Bix, Venuti and Lang, but the Varsity Eight dis some hot sides on Cameo!

Sean

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

John,

Thanks. I was curious since I have two red wax GGs with that style label-one is pink-ish and the other the light blue. I had often wondered if the blue on red wax was an error. Likely as not I guess now.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I think with anything on Grey Gull, just about any combination is possible! I've certainly seen some odd combinations there. On another note, at the Wayne show one disc I picked up was Vaughn DeLeath doing "Button Up Your Overcoat" on Radiex. I was expecting the usual garbage gravelly shellac typical of this era GG product and was pleasantly surprised to see how spotless and smooth the shellac was. Even more of a pleasant surprise was to hear how well this gem was actually recorded, especially for a GG product.

Sean

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Sean,

You are so right about the labels-GG used whatever was handy methinks! Glad to hear you scored a good Radiex!!!

Regards,
John