What level has "music" deteriorated to...???

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: What level has "music" deteriorated to...???

Post by Wolfe »

zipcord wrote:I'm 53 and I think OK Go rock!

Regardless of opinions, the music industry is driven by the tastes of teenagers - always has been and always will be
At least since teens have had the disposable income to buy records in quantities enough to do that. So, since the 1940's ?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I was waiting for the crescendo at the end with them flipping the car...I felt a little let down.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Wolfe wrote:
zipcord wrote:I'm 53 and I think OK Go rock!

Regardless of opinions, the music industry is driven by the tastes of teenagers - always has been and always will be
At least since teens have had the disposable income to buy records in quantities enough to do that. So, since the 1940's ?
Since WWI? My grandfather and his sister bought an Amberola 30 and some Billy Murray and Ada Jones records.

Thankfully TAE never heard Rap.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Billy Murray and Ada Jones and all they recorded (individually or as a saucy duet) can't really be considered 'teen' music only. It crossed generational lines. A young person who happened to have buck to spare might buy a Billy Murray cylinder just the same as his old man getting back home from a day at work.

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

Although, we should remember that even though most young people today may seem different from those teens of 100+ years ago, buying a Billy Murray cylinder then is not much different from a teen buying a song for his ipod today. (Albeit the cylinder is still cooler 8-) )
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

New Yorker
Victor Jr

Post by New Yorker »

epigramophone wrote:The rot started with the invention of the electric guitar, which I have always considered to be an instrument of torture rather than a musical instrument.
Sigh... while I do enjoy electric guitar here and there, and when used sparingly for texture or embellishment, I must sadly agree. I also loathe vocalists screaming at the top of their lungs barely an eighth of an inch from a microphone, which for me is the vocal equivalent of the electric guitar. I'm 64 and felt the same way forty years ago.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"I'm 64 and felt the same way forty years ago."

I'm with you... tired of 7-11 songs... (seven words repeated eleven times in an obnoxious voice)
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

"Those who believe in the Wisdom of the Ancients disbelieve in any progress in human understanding. It is the intellectual equivalent of saying There's nothing worth watching on the telly any more or This so-called music the young people listen to, it's rubbish*

*Yes, yes, I know it is rubbish, but it's also rubbish to say so."

- Michael Bywater, Lost Worlds ;)

Bill

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

New Yorker wrote: I also loathe vocalists screaming at the top of their lungs barely an eighth of an inch from a microphone, which for me is the vocal equivalent of the electric guitar.
The description above fits all the acoustically recorded singers, so start throwing away your Carusos ...

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

CarlosV wrote:
New Yorker wrote: I also loathe vocalists screaming at the top of their lungs barely an eighth of an inch from a microphone, which for me is the vocal equivalent of the electric guitar.
The description above fits all the acoustically recorded singers, so start throwing away your Carusos ...
I'd love to hear Ada Jones do heavy metal with Albert Spaulding playing a crazy intro, or Cal Stewart Rapping. ;)

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.