Are Uncle Josh Stories In Print?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Are Uncle Josh Stories In Print?

Post by Victor A »

Hey everyone,

I was looking at my (albeit small) library of phonograph books, and I wondered if any of the Uncle Josh (Cal Stewart's "rube" character) were in a book form, or published at some time. I assume there was some script Mr. Stewart read from, but I'm willing to bet that they've been compiled somewhere. Does anyone know, or better yet, possess a copy?

Thanks,

Jack
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Are Uncle Josh Stories In Print?

Post by marcapra »

You assume right Jack! It wasn't just record buyers who knew the character of Uncle Josh. I own a copy of the Uncle Josh Weathersby's Stories of Punkin Center, c. 1903. You can read a digital copy here:
https://archive.org/stream/unclejoshsp ... 0/mode/2up

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

Thanks! I think his stories are hilarious, and I find it interesting that he wrote them himself.
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

There were two editions of the book mentioned. The one referenced in the “Archive Link” in the previous post (green cover), published in Chicago by Charles C. Thompson Co. with two Copyrights, 1903 by W.L. Eckhardt and Calvin E. Stewart and 1905 by Thompson & Thomas.

The other is a brown-cover book titled “Uncle Josh’s Punkin Center Stories, The Talking Machine Stories” by Cal Stewart, also published in Chicago by Stanton and VanVilet Co. and has the same two Copyrights mentioned above.

There was a third book, much harder to find, published in Boston, 1924, by Walter H. Baker Company, titled “Uncle Josh Stories” by Cal Stewart.

Members of APS also have access to a complete online discography in the Catalogs section under the Articles tab. This is an extension of the work done by the late Reverend Petty. Petty also documented transcripts of “personal” recordings which were made and not released.

Finally, a number of years ago, Mr. Rick A. Jorgensen, of Orting, Washington, sold tapes of Stewart recordings and published a 3 volume set of his stories. Volume 1 includes stories contained in the Stewart books and Volumes 2 and 3 are transcripts of recordings not contained in the Stewart books. One of those in Volume 3, Cider Time At Punkin Center is not documented in Petty’s Discography and I have never seen or heard a copy.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I have enjoyed Uncle Josh stories, and have even made a few new cylinders. Uncle Josh and the UFO, Uncle Josh buys a Computer,Uncle Josh visits Mike Sorter.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

edisonphonoworks wrote:I have enjoyed Uncle Josh stories, and have even made a few new cylinders. Uncle Josh and the UFO, Uncle Josh buys a Computer,Uncle Josh visits Mike Sorter.

Uncle Josh updates to Windows 10?

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

JerryVan wrote:
edisonphonoworks wrote:I have enjoyed Uncle Josh stories, and have even made a few new cylinders. Uncle Josh and the UFO, Uncle Josh buys a Computer,Uncle Josh visits Mike Sorter.

Uncle Josh updates to Windows 10?
Lol. :lol:

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

I own Uncle Josh Visit's Mike Sorter, and can say that it is THE BEST Uncle Josh record I own--and I am Mike Sorter! Thanks Edisonphonoworks!

There is a story here as well. My friends Scott Corbett and Michael Khanchalian KNOW how much I love Cal Stewart recordings. So, at a Golden State Phonograph Society Meeting at Michael Khanchalian's house about 10 years ago (and this was a few months after Union, where the cylinder was recorded), we all gathered around his Triumph cylinder player to hear a rare and newly found Uncle Josh cylinder! I was very excited, and as I heard the record, I laughed so hard I cried! Scott and Michael wrote the script and it involved all of my friends in GSPS and it was hilarious! And Shawn does a great job of impersonating Uncle Josh! I have a digital copy of it around here somewhere, and I will have to upload it to the site sometime.

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

All -

Also please don't forget that if you are ever going through Indiana, stop into the Tipton, Indiana Cemetery off of Highway 28 on the west side of town. Cal Stewart is buried there along with his wife and sister-in-law. Surprisingly this is not on any local literature, but is a nice stop. Look for the almost five foot Rose Stone Cross about the middle of the cemetery. If you need directions let me know.

Mark
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

I went there with Steve Levi last summer!!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA
Attachments
IMG_7480.JPG