Three interesting records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
jboger
Victor IV

Three interesting records

Post by jboger »

I'm just back from the Eastern Shore where I picked up my auction lots. The auction had cleared out the contents of a lamp shop that had been closed many years. The owner, an elderly woman, lost her husband about 7 years ago. But most or all of the stuff was not out of the shop but out of the woman's basement of her house where it had been kept for many, many years. I picked up a box of mostly ten-inch records, mostly Pre-Condition and Condition labels by Columbia. These are all one-sided. But in the mix were a few other things including two by Zon-o-Phone that appear to be 8 or nine inches. No paper labels but the words are raised and painted white. I have "The Wedding of the Reuben and the Maid," sung by Arthur Collins (5185) and another, "Three Women to Every Man," sung by Mr. J.W. Myers (5229). The third is a ten-inch record with British flags on it, the words "His Master's Voice,".It also states "Victor Record" and "Berliner Gram-O-Phone Co. Limited. Montreal." Don't know much about these things but they are different from most of what I've found so far. Different is good, correct?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Three interesting records

Post by Curt A »

Different is good... Please share pics of the labels...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Will do.

I played one or two of the pre-condition columbias and one of the condition columbias. Two were fine, one repeated the groove. Everything needs to be cleaned. I knew these were early but I was pleasantly surprised to hear the announcer at the beginning of the record as if a live stage act were being introduced. The HMV recording is of Tipperary.

Also included in the lot were some 5 and 6 inch Emersons and Little Wonders. All had there center holes enlarged for a Standard, which I also bought at the auction. It came with a green horn. Totally original. I've never seen the 8-petal Standard Model A horn in green. Red, yes; blue, yes, but never green. I will post a picture of that too under the Machines section. Might need to wait until this weekend.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Looking forward to seeing them...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Some pictures. The two Zon-O-Phones are 9 inches. The HMV is a ten-inch record. I don' know whether they play through or not. I got about 30 records or so in the lot. Most are Columbia Pre-condition and Condition records. Haven't really looked at anything yet. Waiting for daughter to come home with her modern machine with a much lighter tone arm. I have Tipperary on a regular ol' Victor red label. I even have a condensed version on a Little Wonder. But this interests me as I have developed an interest in songs that relate to WWI in one way or another, such as I got my Capt working for me now or I'm going to pin my medal on the girl I left behind. Interesting stuff.
Attachments
HMV.jpg
HMV.jpg (31.3 KiB) Viewed 984 times
zono2.jpg
zono2.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 984 times
zono1.jpg
zono1.jpg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 984 times

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Those are interesting records... I've never seen the HMV label with Union Jacks before. The Zono-Phones are very early etched, probably British also.

My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The Zonophones look like typical U.S. pressings of the 1902 - mid 1903 period.

George P.