Just found a 1925 "Charleston" record in a box of records!

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Just found a 1925 "Charleston" record in a box of records!

Post by marcapra »

I found a Brunswick recording 2970 of "The Original Charleston" by the Isham Jones Orchestra. Is there a way of telling by serial number when electrical recording began on Brunswick records? The other side is "Sweet Man, a Charleston Fox Trot". This record has a rough rim with sharp points like a serrated knife. What does that mean? Is it a factory second that was never sold commercially?

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: Just found a 1925 "Charleston" record in a box of record

Post by CharliePhono »

Nice find! Congrats!
:

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

If it has a regular label and not a white "test" label, it's likely just an unfinished edge pressing and probably something an employee pressed up and took home, these are frequently enough encountered. Even Brunswick tests with white labels usually have finished edges, but sometimes not. They're also sometimes, but not always oversized pressings.

The Jones "Original Charleston" is one of the more frequently found versions, along with the Arthur Gibbs acoustic Victor version.

Sean

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

So my Brunswick is electrically recorded. I looked up the serial number and it was released in the summer of 1925. Is the Victor Paul Whiteman Charleston more rare?

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

marcapra wrote:So my Brunswick is electrically recorded. I looked up the serial number and it was released in the summer of 1925. Is the Victor Paul Whiteman Charleston more rare?
I was going to say that I'm thinking Brunswick electrics started around 2963, but don't quote me.

To me, the Charleston side sounds barely electric, Sweet Man I can't make up my mind on electric or acoustic. No way of knowing if Brunswick mixed electric and acoustic recordings after the conversion as Gennett did... Gennett has some releases on the red "GE" label that are definitely NOT electric! Brunswick's original "Light Ray" system was very troublesome and you'll find lots of examples where it sounds like the input was just too powerful.

As to whether the Jones version is more rare than Whiteman... I'd say the Whiteman version likely sold more copies but seems to command more of a premium than the Jones version. Frankly, I prefer the Jones version.

As far as "Sweet Man"... IMHO the Harry Reser version trumps all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmA4X3qwKjw
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

OrthoSean wrote:They're also sometimes, but not always oversized pressings.
Sean
That would be true. I have a Brunswick batwing of a Hawaiian steel solo, and it measures around 11", due to a large outer dead-wax. I was lucky to have found an oversized, heavy duty sleeve at the same store I bought the record from!
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

I was going to say that I'm thinking Brunswick electrics started around 2963, but don't quote me.
If this is true, then my Brunswick "The Original Charleston" is acoustically recorded, just before Brunswick went electric. Sorry George for quoting you! I wonder if the Whiteman Charleston is also acoustic? I know my Edison Charleston by the Golden Gate Orchestra is acoustic. I agree with you George, that the Isham Jones Original Charleston sounds acoustic to me.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

marcapra wrote:
If this is true, then my Brunswick "The Original Charleston" is acoustically recorded, just before Brunswick went electric. Sorry George for quoting you! I wonder if the Whiteman Charleston is also acoustic? I know my Edison Charleston by the Golden Gate Orchestra is acoustic. I agree with you George, that the Isham Jones Original Charleston sounds acoustic to me.
Marc... 2970 is AFTER 2963... ;)

The Whiteman disc is electric for sure.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Oh my goof! Where did you get your info if I can ask?
I just read up on Brunswick in the American Record Labels and Companies book by Sutton and Nauck, that Brunswick started experimenting with electric recording in April, 1925, but not issuing the records yet. I think my Original Charleston was issued sometime that summer. The book continues to say that for the next several months, Brunswick continued to record most of its masters acoustically. (p.30 Sutton and Nauck, 2000).

Marc.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

marcapra wrote:Oh my goof! Where did you get your info if I can ask?
I just read up on Brunswick in the American Record Labels and Companies book by Sutton and Nauck, that Brunswick started experimenting with electric recording in April, 1925, but not issuing the records yet. I think my Original Charleston was issued sometime that summer. The book continues to say that for the next several months, Brunswick continued to record most of its masters acoustically. (p.30 Sutton and Nauck, 2000).

Marc.
I read it somewhere online a few months ago and of course now I can't find the same article.

That record is a head scratcher though... on my Dual 1009 there's just enough hint of bass to possibly be electrical... but every time I listen to it I change my mind about whether it's acoustical or electric, so I've decided I'd just best enjoy it!