The famous Bix,Eddie Condon amusement park pic-a better look

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
jazzgirl1920s
Victor Jr

The famous Bix,Eddie Condon amusement park pic-a better look

Post by jazzgirl1920s »

There is a torn snapshot of Bix, Eddie Condon, Pee Wee Russell and Mezz Mezzrow that has been published in books many times. The picture is always cropped-the top and bottom of the picture cut off. Here is a better look at the picture and not cropped:
Attachments
ap1.jpg

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: The famous Bix,Eddie Condon amusement park pic-a better look

Post by MordEth »

jazzgirl1920s,

Thanks for sharing this! I don’t think it really improves on the copy that you uploaded, but here is an edit of that image, after applying Auto Tone/Auto Contrast in Photoshop (although I cropped it slightly, but not to remove the ripped parts):

It’s a pity that this is damaged—it looks to me like there was someone ripped out of the top right corner...but I could be wrong.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

iPhoneFreak
Victor Jr

Post by iPhoneFreak »

I have seen plenty of pictures of these people, but I had never seen this one and I confess that I fail to recognize them.

Fredrik
Victor O

Post by Fredrik »

Bix is in the middle with Mezz Mezzrow to the left of him and Eddie Condon (with parts of his hair torn off) to the right. The fellow to the extreme left looks as if it could be Pee Wee Russell.

Fredrik
Desperately seeking more storage space!

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

And isn't that "Der Bingle" (Bing Crosby) to the right of Bix, with his arm draped over Bix's shoulder?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I thought that myself at first Henry, but I'm not so sure. His face looks a little too fat or something??

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Yes, he does look a tad bloated there, no doubt about it. We tend to remember him as a lanky sort, but maybe in his youth he was more hefty and later slimmed down? (The opposite of most of us!) OTOH, who else could it be? Any ideas? We know that Crosby and Bix recorded together in the '20s, acc. to Leonard Feather's New Encyclopedia of Jazz.

Fredrik
Victor O

Post by Fredrik »

Doesn't look like Bing to me. Also: I think this photo was taken in Bix's pre-Whiteman days (note that he has no moustache yet, which he got one soon after joining Whiteman).

I looked up the picture in Keepnews & Grauer's A Pictoral History Of Jazz, and it confirms Pee Wee, Mezz, Bix and Condon in the front row but has nothing to say about the men behind.

Fredrik
Desperately seeking more storage space!

jazzgirl1920s
Victor Jr

Post by jazzgirl1920s »

Thanks a lot MordEth for editing the picture. You made it look a lot better to me with the photoshop techniques. Also thanks to the other members for your opinions. I believe this picture was taken in Bix's pre-Whiteman days too. May have been taken in the mid 1920's in Chicago.

hillndalefan
Victor I

Post by hillndalefan »

The man standing in the back looks a bit like Harry Reser, but why would both he and Eddie Condon be there together? :?