Diamond Disc Reproduction

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
billybob62
Victor III

Re: Diamond Disc Reproduction

Post by billybob62 »

I was suggesting that the silicone reproductions might be able to be played with a more permanent needle that would reduce the necessity of having to change needles constantly (which is a bore). :D
Last edited by billybob62 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

billybob62 wrote:I was suggesting that the silicone repros might be able to be played with a more permanent needle (stylus) that would reduce the necessity of having to be changed constantly (which is a bore). :D

Sorry my bad, I wouldn't think so as resin is softer than shellac so I think what I said would apply even more with these copies, they would wear quicker however would still last a while as resin is quite hard in itself.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Good answer. I think someone suggested testing the discs for wear.Now let's get more information from the guy who makes them! :o :)

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

billybob62 wrote:Good answer. I think someone suggested testing the discs for wear.Now let's get more information from the guy who makes them! :o :)
Thank you!!

The 78's I sell are made of a composite which I developed specifically for making 78's. It behaves very similarly to shellac discs and therefore the needles need to be changed often. There is less filler and abrasive, so there's less surface noise than a very early 78 but I'm not yet sure how different the rate of needle wear is. That data will likely be available this summer.
The 78's that I sell have been well tested. I have copies with over 30 plays on them and they still play well. As I mention in all my listings, I rate this formula for use with steel needles up to at least 80*F. I've noticed rapid wear over 85*F with my discs, wear comparable to playing a Victor batwing at 90*F. I only have wind-ups so I don't know how much higher they'd play on a modern turntable but I'm guessing it's much higher.
Storage is the same as storing a regular old 78.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Mine plays well on an acoustic machine with a steel needle, but I tried it on a 78 school model portable electric and the needle tends to skid. It may be more slippery than a shellac record... anyone else had this experience?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Curt A wrote:Mine plays well on an acoustic machine with a steel needle, but I tried it on a 78 school model portable electric and the needle tends to skid. It may be more slippery than a shellac record... anyone else had this experience?
Somebody else recently mentioned similar, specifically when finding the starting groove. It may be more slippery but I've not yet experienced it myself.
Ps. Thank you for the feedback.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Donniej,

I watched the video on my big screen/stereo and Hallelujah sounded great. You appeared to start it at a point after the normal opening grooves.

Is starting it a problem?

Thanks,

John

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

billybob62 wrote:Donniej,

I watched the video on my big screen/stereo and Hallelujah sounded great. You appeared to start it at a point after the normal opening grooves.

Is starting it a problem?

Thanks,

John
Hi John,
There's no problem starting, I was just trying to keep it brief (and catch the vocals).

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

:D :D

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Put me down to buy the first Diamond Disc you produce. :D
John