Victor II

Is this legit? Edison/Ford DD

Post by JAR »

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Is this legit? Edison/Ford DD

Post by Curt A »

Yes, definitely... Henry Ford was friends with Thomas Edison and Tom produced several titles just for Henry...
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Totally legit. The Henry Ford Museum has zillions of these. They sold a huge amount to a record dealer a number of years ago. That barely made a dent. About 6 years ago when I went there for Old Car Festival they had a sale of automotive literature that was being de-accessioned. Among the many boxes of things they had were two huge boxes of these new-old-stock Diamond Discs, priced at $10 each. If I hadn't gone by air I would have bought a couple of dozen....

I still have one copy of each title, still unplayed. I had a second set which I did play. It's incredible to hear the sound quality of a DD that has never been played before.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Ford was very much into the revival of Old-Time dancing and Edison recorded quite a lot of old style music, such as fiddler Jasper Bisbee- the Varsovienne is a dance with characteristics of the Polka and Waltz: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXLnftncvyg[/youtube]

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

TinfoilPhono wrote:Totally legit. The Henry Ford Museum has zillions of these. They sold a huge amount to a record dealer a number of years ago. That barely made a dent. About 6 years ago when I went there for Old Car Festival they had a sale of automotive literature that was being de-accessioned. Among the many boxes of things they had were two huge boxes of these new-old-stock Diamond Discs, priced at $10 each. If I hadn't gone by air I would have bought a couple of dozen....

I still have one copy of each title, still unplayed. I had a second set which I did play. It's incredible to hear the sound quality of a DD that has never been played before.
D0 they really have a large quantity of these? I thought they weren't released to the public. Why would they press so many?

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

According to a curator there whom I've known for many years, they have boatloads more.

You'd have to ask Henry why he ordered so many. ;)

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I have a few of these, and got them very cheap. Personally, I think they are boring. But to me, I consider them very historic. Mainly because you see Henry Ford's name on them.
Harvey Kravitz

JAR
Victor II

Post by JAR »

PM sent Harvey.

JAR

JAR
Victor II

Post by JAR »

Anyone have one for sale?