PVC sleeves and 78 RPM records.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
bulleid_pacific
Victor Jr

Re: PVC sleeves and 78 RPM records.

Post by bulleid_pacific »

As far as classical LPs are concerned, the Polygram/Phonogram group of companies (which included DG and Philips in Europe and who later also acquired Decca) switched from PE liners inside a paper inner to PP liners inside a paper inner sometime during the 1970's. The PE sleeves stuck to the record surfaces and left all kinds of streaks and sometimes audible artifacts. The PP ones were far better and didn't do this. And they seemed much kinder to surfaces than rough paper alone. The difference is readily apparent - the PE sleeves are glossier and the PP ones are thinner, more opaque and 'rustle' noticeably when handled. As far as I know, PVC has never been used except for heavy-duty covers to protect cardboard outers - but I may be wrong there.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

OrthoSean wrote:When I have a disc with it's nice original company or dealer sleeve, I clean the disc and place it into a new sleeve, then place the original sleeve along with it into an outer clear heavy poly sleeve just to keep them together. Perhaps overkill, but that's what I do. I've never had a problem that way at all. I do the same with my good LPs and 45s / EPs with photo sleeves. The poly doesn't ever touch the disc, so I can't see that being an issue...unless I misunderstood some earlier posts, which is entirely possible! :lol:

Sean
That's right. If the record / sleeve is worth it, do it that way. Otherwise, stick to paper, and that includes paper inners for LP's. Take a few extra seconds to remove / replace the sleeve carefully, if you're concerned about fine scratches with rare vinyl records, and rest comfortably .

People still offer rice paper sleeves, somewhere, don't they ?

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

After reading this thread I looked up on the internet for a source of safe PE covers in in doing so came across another issue and that relates to the storage boxes that DVDs and Blu ray disks come in. I know this is well off the topic for the forum but the plastisisers they use in the newer more flexible cases do oooz out over a relatively short period of time and make the disks go misty and sticky.

Now I was a bit sceptical but I went through my collection of DVDs and blu rays and found that all the cases that were made of the more flexible type of plastic had a sticky film on it on the inside of the box. Some worse than others.. The majority of my disks are ok but there were about 4 box sets where at least some of the disks had gone misty and were unplayable. Seems that once they go misty that is it as it cant be removed.

So I have spent a long morning cleaning the inside of these boxes to remove this sticky film. You might also want to have a look at your dvd collections and particularly blue rays (as those boxes seem to be even worse) to check whether you also have this problem. It would be a shame if everyone was worrying about their record collections when their dvds and blu rays were happily being gassed in their cases on the shelf....

UPDATE:
make that 5 box sets with misty disks