How did Victor ship 78's?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
New Yorker
Victor Jr

How did Victor ship 78's?

Post by New Yorker »

Just wondering. Back in the day, how did Victor ship 78's to stores without breaking any? Anyone happen to know?

larryh
Victor IV

Re: How did Victor ship 78's?

Post by larryh »

Back in the sixties I ran across some victor records still boxed from a local department store. They were single records, 12". Actually the cartons were just about what we see dealers mailing them in now. A box maybe 14 x 14 and 5 or so inches thick. It may be there was a larger carton to ship those in but I recall the labels to the store was on the boxes so I assume that was the way they were shipped. Carriers may have been more sensitive to breakable items in those days? I also recently passed along an Edison shipping carton which was just a little bigger than what three edisons would have fit in. It also had the warehouse address as well as the destination on the outside, so again the box it was shipped in. The larger albums of longer pieces latter on I have not seen the way they were packed. I only know that they added a piece of cardboard to each side of the records in order to keep them leveled or spaced so that no undue pressure was placed on them at the spine.