ArcheoPhonica Exhibition with Jazz Band recording session

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
WDC
Victor IV

ArcheoPhonica Exhibition with Jazz Band recording session

Post by WDC »

Anyone in South Tyrol next weekend?

Next Saturday, July 15, the Tiger Dixie Band will give a live concert at the ArcheoPhonica Exhibition at the town gallery in Bolzano. As a part of the concert, I will be doing a recording session on cylinder. There should be also some press and TV coverage. If the recording is successful, it will be turned into into a durable resin cylinder.
ArcheoPhonica.jpg

Steve Levi
Victor II

Re: ArcheoPhonica Exhibition with Jazz Band recording sessio

Post by Steve Levi »

Impresssive collection of machines in that advertisement! Good luck on your recordings and a great time will be in store for all who attend. Steve

WDC
Victor IV

Re: ArcheoPhonica Exhibition with Jazz Band recording sessio

Post by WDC »

The traffic to Italy was terrible and instead of 3 ½ it took more than 7 hours to get there. At 28°C it was not extremely hot we had to hurry and unload the car to start the recording session right away and I had no time at all to settle in.

But the whole event turned into a great success with over 200 visitors at the Galleria Civica to attend the recording session with the Tiger Dixie Band performing live. The musicians were outstandingly well-prepared and kept their timing like a clockwork. For every test recording and take we made, they were always precisely on spot and I did not have to worry at all about the limited recording time. It was such a pleasure to have worked with these professionals.

I wanted to take some photos but instead just was able to make one during the final test recording. You can spot most of the instrumental line-up minus the drums, which were on the right side behind the bass sax. I used my 1890's Columbia 20" brass horn, which is made of much thicker brass than the more cheaply produced post-1900 horns. Thanks to this, it has a very low resonance and thus worked quite well:
photo_2017-07-15.jpg
Edoardo Tomasi was so kind and took some very nice pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 8874175257

Here's a video of us listening to the second test recording. It was helpful that I had two machines with me. After the first half I switched to acoustic playback to demonstrate the difference. The sound of the horn is very directional and the video does not really give the full impression. The camera was making the scratchy noise, not the record or the phonograph:

https://www.facebook.com/edoardo.tomasi ... 425746274/