Acetate Glenn Miller Broadcasts Value?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
12jslater
Victor II

Acetate Glenn Miller Broadcasts Value?

Post by 12jslater »

I brought around 80 mint Glenn Miller 78's from my local record shop I'm friends with the owner and from what I gather it was from a collector they all had mint sleeves with plastic inner sleeves and 21 of these were acetate discs with lists of the songs typed on a typewriter. These are obviously home recordings, But they have dates on them and after checking they all match radio broadcast dates.

I cant find recordings of these broadcasts online. Are they worth anything?

Thanks, Jake

WDC
Victor IV

Re: Acetate Glenn Miller Broadcasts Value?

Post by WDC »

They could be indeed worth something:

http://www.popsike.com/php/m-quicksearc ... =&pagenum=

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Be worthwhile to know their fidelity. If they are home recordings made on a typical consumer unit of the period, they made sound poorly. If they are indeed unique broadcasts that have not seen the light of day in any other form (probably unlikely) that would increase their value.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Maybe what has already been posted on YouTube is just a fraction of the acetates that are available. Do your recordings sound as good as this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-UIeExcUug

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

No they don't sound as good as that but by no means do they sound like a typical home recording they sound decent with no major distortion in the sound.

I also gather they are home recordings as one of the records changes volume around half way through as if somebody turned up the input on the disc cutter.

Thanks, Jake