Question about early microphones

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
ImperialGuardsman
Victor II
Personal Text: Nothing like blaring Caruso out of your college dorm window...

Question about early microphones

Post by ImperialGuardsman »

I just wanted to know if anyone had some insights into the early electrical recording process. I think they used Carbon microphones and then moved to ribbon, but am not sure. Are there any modern recordings/videos demonstrating how these microphones sound using a modern setup?

Thanks!
ImperialGuardsman

OTAPS (Oregon Territory Antique Phonograph Society) Member

~Also a member of Suscipe Domine and The High Road forums~

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Re: Question about early microphones

Post by edisonphonoworks »

The early days, double button carbon microphones were used. These have a battery attached in series and an impedance matching transformer, range of 70-7,000cp generally. Single button carbon microphones range is not so good, 300-3,000 cps. In 1931 Harry F Olsen designed the ribbon microphones such as the 44-A and 77-A microphones, range of 50-15,000cps, later on the 44-bx, and 77-dx. Ribbons have a currogated duralumin ribbon suspended in a magnetic field, the resistance of the ribbon is rather low, less than 1 ohm so a transformer matches it to the 50 or 250 ohm balanced microphone input These use the velocity of the air, that moves the ribbon and the movement causes AC current as the thin ribbon moves to and fro as a motor in the magnetic field, and is magnified by a pre-amp. This video the voice is my 1940's RCA 44-BX Ribbon microphone. Though it is not through modern electronics, but a 1956 Western Electric low z tube circuit. Another early microphone was the condenser microphone, the WE 47-A condenser microphone was a staple in the early electrical recordings, and used on many Victor Orthophonic recordings.

http://www.coutant.org/we47/we47.pdf

https://youtu.be/-eJMZkXuGzo

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

I believe the earliest electric records marketed were the Marsh Laboratories Autograph label. The earliest of those were recordings of organs, made with carbon mikes. The few copies I've heard were poor. I am unsure what kind of mike that Victor or Columbia used, but they sounded much better. Edison developed a condenser mike and produced some wonderful pipe organ recordings that sound amazing on modern equipment.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

A couple years ago I made some recordings of Vince Giordano's Nighthawks with a British carbon granular public address microphone made by Shaftesbury in the 1930's. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo at hand and the mic is still in the US for future projects.

It was surprisingly blast-proof and worked quite well, but I showed me that the greatest part towards that characteristic sound must have been incroporated by the cutter head in the manufacturing chain. Nevertheless, I was quite happy with the output to remember yet another great evening while listening to this wonderful band.
Attachments
vincegiordano_20140415.mp3
An excerpt of Puttin' on the Ritz by Vince Giordano's Nighthawks.
(604.24 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

ImperialGuardsman wrote:I just wanted to know if anyone had some insights into the early electrical recording process. I think they used Carbon microphones and then moved to ribbon, but am not sure. Are there any modern recordings/videos demonstrating how these microphones sound using a modern setup?

Thanks!
They dug up one of those early Western Electric double button carbon microphones for the American Epic sessions (somewhat) recently, Merle Haggard died last year.

Doesn't sound too bad, but it's like what was posted earlier, the top end probably doesn't go above 7,000 cycles, from the sound of it.

https://youtu.be/Bo08_FHT1jM

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

The Victor and Columbia early electrics used the Western Electric system which was based on a condenser microphone. The ribbon-style came a few years later (early 1930's). Brunswick for a short time used their own "light Ray" microphone which sounded bad, but avoided Western Electric patents and royalties. Marsh probably used some variation of a carbon microphone, which was common in Radio practice in those days. I believe they attached a horn to it.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

Was the carbon the only microphone used for this recording? It actually sound pretty good to me! But yes much of that mid bass rise and characteristic sound of early electric discs is due to the cutter amp and pre amp tubes of the time, and to some extent the wax master it was cut on. I heard a setup test disc from Edison where they were setting up a GE cutting amp to the electric recorder, and they would change the value of capacitors, across the grid leaks, and microphone inputs, until they obtained the sound they wanted.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ I believe so. The intent there was to reconstruct and record with a vintage Western Electric system exactly as it would have been used originally. Except the takes were cut to lacquer rather than wax. Lacquer not coming into use until the mid 30's when that WE microphone would have been long supplanted by better kit.

Sampling a section of the audio on spectrum analyzer shows it dropping completely off at around 7700 cycles. Significant bass energy seems to begin at around 80 cycles. That's on YouTube 1080p.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

Wolfe wrote:^ I believe so. The intent there was to reconstruct and record with a vintage Western Electric system exactly as it would have been used originally. Except the takes were cut to lacquer rather than wax. Lacquer not coming into use until the mid 30's when that WE microphone would have been long supplanted by better kit.

Sampling a section of the audio on spectrum analyzer shows it dropping completely off at around 7700 cycles. Significant bass energy seems to begin at around 80 cycles. That's on YouTube 1080p.
Yes, that is correct and meets the specifications stated before, for double button carbon microphones, and recording equipment of the time. Having experience cutting with recorders such as Presto, and Fairchild cutter heads, the recorders, even into the 1940s, cut off at 7,500-8k, even the Rek-O-Kut from 1957 only goes up to 10,000cps, though Westrex, and Neumann can get up to 20,000cps or more, although they are helium cooled, high frequencies in a cutter head produce much heat.

ImperialGuardsman
Victor II
Personal Text: Nothing like blaring Caruso out of your college dorm window...

Post by ImperialGuardsman »

Very interesting stuff! I'll take some time to read all of the replies more thoroughly soon. I do have a question though: How does one connect some of these old button microphones (Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ellis-Electrica ... 2669011751 ) to a modern amp or pre-amp? I am familiar with XLR cables, but do not know what these older mics use (or where the wires go!).
ImperialGuardsman

OTAPS (Oregon Territory Antique Phonograph Society) Member

~Also a member of Suscipe Domine and The High Road forums~