The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: 78 Diamond Stylus Recommendation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:49 pm 
Victor V
I've also found that an LP stylus can perform well with a DD. In my case I have a plain (and cheap) conical .7 mil for the Stanton 500 cart that I may use with a DD, basically a so-called 'DJ' stylus with a reasonably robust suspension. Not sure what extra advantage an elliptical tip would have with a vertically cut record.

Post subject: Re: 78 Diamond Stylus Recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:01 am 
Victor V
Wolfe wrote:
I've also found that an LP stylus can perform well with a DD. In my case I have a plain (and cheap) conical .7 mil for the Stanton 500 cart that I may use with a DD, basically a so-called 'DJ' stylus with a reasonably robust suspension. Not sure what extra advantage an elliptical tip would have with a vertically cut record.

I don't think there's really any advantage. In my case, it was just a cheap pick up for $12 for these generic elliptical Shure replacements. I ended up buying two more from the same seller at the same price after I got the first one. After auditioning a few LPs and 45s with it first and comparing it with the sound of the "real" Shure one, I couldn't tell the difference. That's typically not the case with many of the generic replacements, as most know, I'm sure. They're usually super inferior. I shopped around a few times for replacement Stanton 680 replacements claiming to be elliptical and they were absolute junk. Fortunately a former DJ acquaintance / friend of mine gave me two sealed 3 packs of genuine Stanton ones he'd found while cleaning out his old equipment so I'm set, those things are like gold these days.

Sean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7