Rare Diamond Discs

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
billybob62
Victor III

Rare Diamond Discs

Post by billybob62 »

Do any of you know which DDs are the rarest, most valuable and desirable that would be great to have copied?

Surely, someone has researched this.

Thanks!

John

WDC
Victor IV

Re: Rare Diamond Discs

Post by WDC »

Well, the late Eva Taylor recordings are highly interesting and usually go for big money too.

Unfortunately, my copy of 51478-R "Don't advertise your man" isn't probably good enough to make a satisfactory copy, but Rosa Henderson and the Kansas City Five are magnificent.

I would love to do 51477-R (Josie Miles - Mad Mama's Blues), which I put out on cylinder, but the last diamond disc went for $568 and no, I didn't get it. :(

Here are some more:

51775 (Charley Skeete - Deep Henderson) sold for $651.
52651 (Vaughn De Leath - Oh Susanna / Honey) went for $596.
52646 (Eva Taylor, Clarence Williams - West End Blues) sold for $749
52547 (Golden Gate Orch. - Dream Train) reached $750
52640 (B.A. Rolfe - Liza / Do what you do) once got a lofty $1227

A friend has 52640 and this has likely reached the interest only because it is so late. Muscially, both sides are nice selections but not necessarily outstanding. Please bear in mind, these are all price peaks.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Thanks for those, Norman. :o

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I have some DDs which are in great condition and which greatly impress upon hearing them. For a fun type record, B. A. Rolfe has a very jazzy, upbeat version of Makin' Whoopee! 52474 complete with vocals that I'm willing to loan. Selfish reason: If I had a dupe of it, I could play the dupe all I want! Another DD that I own that really impressed as far as sound is Chinese Wedding Procession 52630 It is impressive as far as all the wild percussion instruments that are used and the overall impressive sound of the recording. The problem is many record buyers like to buy what they know, such as Singing in the Rain, or something, and might not want to gamble with an unknown number. I don't even think Chinese Wedding Procession is on Youtube. Maybe I should attempt to make a video of it?

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

That's exactly how I usually see it too. A more popular tune will gain more interest than a more unknown one, even if that one is musically better. However, the Edison version of Singin' in the Rain is really nice and I am glad that I issued a re-cut on cylinder. A friend does have the diamond disc test pressing with two different takes of that song. But with the unfinished edge, the risk of delamination would be likely too high.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Yes, Norman, I have your Singing in the Rain cylinder and I really love it! Other electric DD's I would love to have would be very numerous, but some highlights would be: Red Hot by the McAlpineers (Calif. Ramblers); Willard Hodgin records, such as An Ugly Gal's Got Something Hard to Beat, and Quit Knockin on the Jail house Door; B. A. Rolfe's Let's Do It!; Broadway Melody by Al Friedman; Lover, Come Back to Me! by Golden Gate; and My Lucky Star by the Piccadilly Players, to name just a few.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

I know the Black Pattis are not DDs but some of the 78s seem to go for thousands of dollars.
Could it be that there are some stratospherically valued DDs that never come on the market?

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Some DDs gone up to about $1000, but that is very rare. It would have to be something very rare and valuable to match the Black Patti records.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Thanks, Marc. :D

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

There are a few titles in the various classical series that bring good money. The most valuable one I'm aware of is The Skylark by Ellen Beach Yaw which is usually $200+. Supposedly the master was destroyed in the Edison shop fire, but I know this is not true because I own a copy with the presser marks that weren't used until 1915.