Streaming Music of the 1920s

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Streaming Music of the 1920s

Post by audiophile102 »

I'm sure most members of this forum know about Radio Dismuke, but for anyone who might have missed it, I thought I would post a link. I always have it playing in another tab while I'm reading or searching the forum. Really great way to discover jazz bands of the 20's and 30's. https://beta.tunein.com/radio/Radio-Dismuke-s54028/
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

SteveM
Victor II

Re: Streaming Music of the 1920s

Post by SteveM »

Indeed. I probably owe half of my record collection (and bank account) to Dismuke :D
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Great find! Thanks for the new music for when Im driving!

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Have been tuning in to Dismuke for years. I would stream it as background music at our estate sales. Great stuff, although I am not that excited about the German jazz that pops up.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

And it has a nice low bit rate (24kbps) so it's always playing on my phone in the background, even in the car or mowing the grass, and not using a ton of data. One of life's great pleasures.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Have been tuning in to Dismuke for years. I would stream it as background music at our estate sales. Great stuff, although I am not that excited about the German jazz that pops up.
No, no, no! The German stuff is some of the best stuff they play! One of my favorite songs they play is "Blindekuh" or Blind Cow, which is the German version of the game Blind Man's Buff. The first line is "Komm spiel mit mir Blindekuh" or "Come play with me Blind Man's Buff". It is from the 1936 Viennese movie "Allotria".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZN0R2cb6Rk

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I agree, the German stuff is great for the most part...

For example, Lutz Templin - 1942 - Immer Wieder Tanzen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oobQgyBKec
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Does anyone else see the irony in this music...? Teddy Kleindin Trio - Klarinettenzauber - June 1941
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwbyDiQnYgs
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 11.09.28 PM.png

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I wonder what make of turntable and pickup that is? another of my favorite German songs that they play on Radio Dismuke is In meinem Kartenspiel fehlt die Herz-Dame, or "In my card game the Queen of Hearts is missing".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzFeD9jcKKE

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

The irony of listening to some great music and going about your day to day life, while being unaware that all hell is about to break loose, is a strange picture in retrospect.... It makes you wonder what is around the next corner.

My Wife