Streaming Music of the 1920s

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Re: Streaming Music of the 1920s

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

I see a decent pile of cash in that picture between the machine, uniform, and rifle

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

GrafonolaG50 wrote:I see a decent pile of cash in that picture between the machine, uniform, and rifle
What I see is a guy who is oblivious to his present or future situation and is off in his fantasy world listening to some enjoyable music... Reminiscent of the phrase: "Nero fiddled while Rome burned".

The machine, uniform and rifle (not to mention the soldier himself) are most likely about to be blown to smithereens by the coming air raids, invasions and havoc that was wreaked on Europe at that time...

PS: The chances of those items surviving the war intact is slim...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I've only recently found Dismuke, and I just can't get enough! The stream can be heard almost daily now throughout my home.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

I've been a Dismuke listener for a long time now. So long, in fact, that I don't even remember how I discovered it.

I probably echo the sentiment of many on the Forum when I say I terribly miss Rich Conaty's "Big Broadcast" shows over WFUV in New York. My Sunday nights just aren't the same without his long-running program streaming through my Atwater-Kent radio horn. RIP, Rich.